BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AgentA
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi guys , 
I am doing inner join using proc sql, please see the below code.

data am;
input name$ age;
datalines;
am 89
am 78
am 45
na 23
;
run;

data am1;
input name$ marks;
datalines;
am 789
am 9081
na 2670
pa 89
sa 90
ka 09
;
run;

proc sql;
select * from am,am1 where am.name=am1.name;
quit;

Question : Why age=78 is below the age=45 where as in data step age=78 is above. Request, kindly explain.

SAS Output:

name age name marks
am 89 am 789
am 45 am 789
am 78 am 789
am 89 am 9081
am 45 am 9081
am 78 am 9081
na 23 na 2670
2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

RTM. You didn't specify any order so you cannot expect any order to the data. 

Also, I didn't run your code but that output doesn't match the code you've shown either. I'm assuming it's correct but you've truncated the output for some reason. 

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/sqlproc/69822/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0hwg3z33gllron18...

If an ORDER BY clause is omitted, then a particular order to the output rows, such as the order in which the rows are encountered in the queried table, cannot be guaranteed—even if an index is present. Without an ORDER BY clause, the order of the output rows is determined by the internal processing of PROC SQL, the default collating sequence of SAS, and your operating environment.

Reeza
Super User

Also, that's not an inner join it's a Cartesian join, filtered on marching name. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation