BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hello Guys,

Sorry for posting this in this board but there seems to be a forum missing for general questions.

Two questions:

1. Why does the SAS Depot gets corrupted when copy and pasting or abborting the installation (in my
case I canceld the process and the setup.exe among other files was deleted)

2. Why is the SAS software so large, do the millions of lines of code make it so large ?

Thanks for clarification
8 REPLIES 8
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19
Aborting the installation of the SAS Depot will most likely make it unusable, so removing the setup.exe is just a logical consequence.

"Large" is a bit vague. Beginning with 9.2 the size of the software depot depends on the number of licensed products.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hello Andreas,

Thanks for your reply. I have installed a lot of software during my life but never
came across one that will self destruct when aborted.

I agree, large is a bit vague. It was more a general software engineering questions.
Windows is a big system but fits on a DVD so why does BI software (my Depot has about 13GB)
use so much space? There aren't any images or videos I guess.

Thanks
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
SAS software is a family of components and features which is delivered on the various media pieces and is delivered to a worldwide user community. The manufacturing process does not necessarily presume that all licensed components will be installed and therefore may not be combined with other component features on a given disc -- you may find useful information on the outside label, regarding what disk is associated with a particular component.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Scott,

How many billion lines of code make up the complete SAS software suite?

Thanks.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Actually, the vast majority of the material in the "Software" Depot is the documentation for the software. My Depot is about 16 GB, but the actual install of a fully configured system is under 3GB without the documentation.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Great. Thanks for explaining Doc@Duke!

That just leaves one questions of mine unanswerd:
I have installed a lot of software during my life but never
came across one that will self destruct when aborted (i.e. delete setup.exe and others. Does someone know why or how this is happening with SAS?
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19
Any software installation, i have seen so far, removed partial installed files when aborting the installation. And i think this is the only desirable behaviour. Maybe you should talk with tech-support about this issue.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for that. I undertand what you mean. In my case the setup.exe was removed among the other files and no further installation necessary, so I re-downloaded the depot.

Many thanks for all the help and explanation guys!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation