BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
braverju
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear everybody!

How can I refer to the dynamic name of the format?

Here is my situation:

%Macro myMacro (myVar);

PROC FORMAT CNTLOUT= fmtdataset;
       VALUE &myVar 
          1 = 'Label1'
          2 = 'Label2'
      ;
  RUN;

Data somedataset_formatted;

set somedataset;

FORMAT &myVar &myVar. ;   /*I also tried FORMAT &myVar "&myVar."; – get a syntax error message */

RUN;

%Mend myMacro

When I call %myMacro (variableName) I get no errors. The file fmtdataset contains the appropriate format "variableName". However, in the dataset "somedataset" the variable variableName doesn't get formatted. If I replace the macro with values, i.e., 

FORMAT variableName variableName.  it works just fine.

Thank you very much

Julia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
I think you need an extra period at the end of the format name. Periods are used to indicate the end of a macro variable, so the first one gets used by the macro variable and the second is for the format.

FORMAT &myVar &myVar.. ;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User
I think you need an extra period at the end of the format name. Periods are used to indicate the end of a macro variable, so the first one gets used by the macro variable and the second is for the format.

FORMAT &myVar &myVar.. ;
braverju
Obsidian | Level 7
Hurray! It worked. Thank you very much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation