BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm not a SAS user; I'm trying to transcribe a course discussing SAS and looking for help with terminology.

Can someone please confirm that there are both datasets and data steps? Also, does the term GV key sound familiar at all?

Thank you very much,

Cheryl
10 REPLIES 10
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Yes, a SAS "dataset" is a proprietary file structure which contains rows and columns of data. In SAS terminology, the ROWS are sometimes called OBSERVATIONS; and the COLUMNS are sometimes called VARIABLES.

SAS datasets can be accessed, analyzed and reported on using PROCEDURES or DATA step programs. (These are frequently abbreviated, jargon-wise, as "PROCs" and "DATA Step") So, a reasonable sentence might be:

Once you read your Oracle data into a SAS dataset, you can write reports using PROC REPORT or a Data Step program.

A DATA Step program allows a programmer to use the programming language features of the SAS programming language to perform data manipulation, write reports and perform analysis on a SAS dataset.

There are different ways to reference "keys" ... a "GV key" doesn't initially ring a bell. What is the name of the course that you are transcribing??

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Cynthia,

Thank you very much for your reply. Some of the terms you've mentioned were there and I was able to find it. I can always use [inaudible] if I need to, but this "GV key" came up quite a bit. Could it be a proprietary term? I don't get that much information and often don't know who the client is.This term is used as if it's an identifier of some sort. I tried GB key and didn't get any results. Does the fact that they're listed in a "where statement" help?

Thank you so much for any guidance you may have,

Cheryl
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Knowing that the reference to the key is in a WHERE statement, (as opposed to an SQL WHERE clause) helps a bit.
I wonder whether this is some SAS/Access product. Knowing the title or general topic of the class -would- help.
Is it at all possible that, instead of "GV key", someone is talking about a "GDG" or Generation Data Group or Generation Dataset???? This is where knowing a bit more about the class topics would be helpful.

cynthia
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
If you could share that WHERE-statement, it would probably be clear.
Could it be that this is a name for a column (variable) in a dataset (table)...?
/Linus
Data never sleeps
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you both for trying to be helpful. I do wish I had more information, but all I have is audio. But I do appreciating you taking the time to answer.

Tks again,

Cheryl
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Unless you dropped into the middle of the audio, there has to be -some- context that you've already transcribed.

"hello, welcome to today's class. our topic today is how to recalibrate the framistat using SAS software."

"Our objectives are to learn how to use the SAS recalibration tool, how the framistat is configured and how to achieve fine tuning with PROC FRAM."

There should be some context that you can share. Otherwise, your only recourse is to work with the person who presented the material.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
All it said was "This is an intermediate class that focuses on features that you can find in the SAS DATA step."

I'm going to just go with what I have. Truly, thanks for trying to assist me with this.

Cheryl
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
the base sas glossary might help at http://support.sas.com/baseglossary
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you!
Cheryl
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Consider some other useful SAS-related Internet resources available:

http://www.sascommunity.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_(software)

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_(software)#Terminology

Google search argument: sas bi solutions

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation