Fever

Y

N

I did a contingency table of :

Diabetes with Cases

Aids with Cases

Headache with Cases

Fever with Cases

Found that the p-values are significant for a couple of them(less than 0.05)

What is the meaning of that statistically?

Also how to do a regression analysis....How do I proceed from there???

Any help is highly appreciated

Regards

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Whenever a p value is less than 0.05, this indicates that the quantity being tested is statistically significant (at the alpha=0.05 level). In layman's terms, this particular arrangement of data that is tested was unlikely to have happened by random chance, it is probably a "real" effect.

You cannot do regression on this data. You need to have continuous X and continuous Y to do a regression.

--
Paige Miller
robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the reply.

Could you also provide me with the basics for understanding Logistic Regression ??

Thanks

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Logistic regression is appropriate when you have a continuous X variable, and a categorical Y variable.

For example, if X is temperature, and Y is pass/fail status.

Among other things, logistic regression will compute the probability that you get a pass (or a fail) at a given temperature.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

You've completed what's known as univariate analysis on your data, checking the category of one variable against others one at a time.

It sounds like you're looking to move on to the multivariate stage, looking at multiple variables together, and relationships between them.

The appropriate multivariate model depends on what your research question/hypothesis is and the structure of your data.

As you've shown all categorical data, my guess is a log-linear model, but that's a GUESS.

robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I am trying to study the problems associated with the type of surgery done.

when i use a particular type of surgery what effect/problem it is creating???

Regards

Reeza
Super User

So your outcome is an indicator if a patient has a problem?

For me at least I'd need more of an explanation of your data and what you were looking to answer.

Reeza
Super User

I'd say consult with a statistician (possibly a biostatistician) now Smiley Happy.There really are too many things that would need to be considered and I've seen too many bad  medical publications to help produce one.

Your local university probably has a consulting services that will be free of charge or low cost.

Ksharp
Super User

P value less than 0.05 is statistical significant if your possibility of committing the first mistake  is .05 .

That means your H0 hypothesis (Type of Case and Headache are independent ) is not right.

.05 discover there are some correlation between Type of Case and Headache .

I recommend you also use corresponding analysis to check this relation more .

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation