BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I am using Base SAS 9.3 on a Windows 7 computer.

I have become quite adept at creating data sets in SAS but leave them at the record level, export them and report on the data sets with other software.  For this exercise, I need to group and rank the data which is totally out of my depth so hopefully someone can help.

My data is where one record is one hospital visit which could be ED or inpatient.  I've created a field called Type which identifies ED or IP. The unique identifier per patient is chart number.

I need to come up with a single rank per chart number which will consist of the ED visits rank + inpatient visits rank + total length of stay rank.  So I need to summarize the data by each of the criteria (# of ED visits, # of IP visits and # of inpatient days) and then rank each which is simply sorting in ascending order and assigning a rank based on where that chart number appears in the list for that criteria.

So if chart # 12345 is 45 on the ED visits summary, 28 on the inpatient visits summary and 100 on the inpatient days summary then that chart number's total rank is 173.  Ideally I'd like to end up with a list by chart number showing rank of ED visits, rank of inpatient visits and rank of inpatient days plus total rank.

Is this possible?  Thanks for any and all assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

Because I had inpatient and ED visits all in one file, my first step was to create an ED only subset with the data elements I wanted.  From there I used proc summary to get total ED visits and then a formula to rank and order them.  Then I combined each subset together for one table showing health card number (this is the more unique value), each of the visits/los, and a rank and order for each element which then also allowed me to sum them.  So I'm not sure it's right but it worked.

Below is my code for ED visits.

/*ED Visits*/
data ED_Activity;
set data_final;
if type = "ED" then output;
run;

proc summary data=ED_activity;
var ed_visits;
class HCN_NoVC;
output out=ed_visits
          sum(ed_visits)=ttl_ed
       ;
run;
proc sort data=ed_visits; by ttl_ed; run;

data ED;
set ed_visits;
  /*by HCN_NoVC descending ttl_ed;*/
ed_order+1-ed_order*first.HCN_NoVC;
ed_rank+ifn(ttl_ed=lag(ttl_ed),0,1)-ed_rank*first.HCN_NoVC;
run;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
VD
Calcite | Level 5 VD
Calcite | Level 5

You can use proc rank to get ranks based on multiple variables.

See http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/65145/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n18s1uw2tqvtxdn1chay1...

Reeza
Super User

Yes it's possible. Smiley Happy

I think  you need to break this down into steps.

1. Calculate the number of visits per chart and type (Proc freq or proc means) - 2 datasets out, one for ED, one for IP

2. Calculate the number of inpatient days per chartno (proc means) 1 dataset out, for LOS

3. Rank them (either a datastep or proc rank) 3 datasets, IP, ED, LOS

4. Merge results together by chartno to calculate the total rank, which will als include your list by chart and ranks. Make sure in the merge you get all the chartno and aren't dropping any because they're not in one file!

Good luck!

shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Wow this group is fast to respond...thanks so much!

VD, I reviewed that support document prior to posting and my issue is that there isn't a number field for ED or IP visit, just a field of Type which indicates IP or ED.  Of course I guess I could create two number fields for these where if critiera fits then 1 so that is an option.

Reeza:  thanks for breaking it into steps for me, it makes sense.  My only issue is that I have never used Rank or Proc Means or Proc Freq so not sure where to start on that.

Thanks again everyone.

Reeza
Super User

Search Lexjansen.com for some basic papers on proc freq and proc means would be my suggestion.

Your output is fairly basic so it should be relatively straightforward.

The examples in the documentation for these procedures are also useful.

shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

Can someone please give me a starter?  Where I'm confused is because I want it to group on chart number and sum ed visits (or use the where statement of where type = ED).  But I don't see how to do that in the samples provided online because their examples don't have many, many extra columns of data like I do, only the ones they will be using in their summary.

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

You don't need all your extra columns though, so you could reduce it down Smiley Happy.

Can you post a small sample of what your data would look like in a datastep?

shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

Because I had inpatient and ED visits all in one file, my first step was to create an ED only subset with the data elements I wanted.  From there I used proc summary to get total ED visits and then a formula to rank and order them.  Then I combined each subset together for one table showing health card number (this is the more unique value), each of the visits/los, and a rank and order for each element which then also allowed me to sum them.  So I'm not sure it's right but it worked.

Below is my code for ED visits.

/*ED Visits*/
data ED_Activity;
set data_final;
if type = "ED" then output;
run;

proc summary data=ED_activity;
var ed_visits;
class HCN_NoVC;
output out=ed_visits
          sum(ed_visits)=ttl_ed
       ;
run;
proc sort data=ed_visits; by ttl_ed; run;

data ED;
set ed_visits;
  /*by HCN_NoVC descending ttl_ed;*/
ed_order+1-ed_order*first.HCN_NoVC;
ed_rank+ifn(ttl_ed=lag(ttl_ed),0,1)-ed_rank*first.HCN_NoVC;
run;

Reeza
Super User

That looks mostly ok, my only question is the sum(ed_visits). Assuming each chartno had 1 visit per line, wouldn't it have been n(ed_visits) instead?  If ed_visits was 1 per count then it would have been fine as well Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation