BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I want to run a random effects model, but due to a lack of statistical knowledge I don't know exactly how I should specify that in SAS and which procedure I should use.

My dataset exists of panel data covering 10 years and 39 companies. The dependent variable is continuous, as well as most of the independent variables.

Can someone advise me what to do?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
There is much (and it's free) information at the SAS Support website with SAS-hosted documentation and supplemental technical / reference material for your reference and use.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Suggested Google advanced search argument, this topic / post:

random effects model site:sas.com
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
You state that the data cover 10 years and 39 companies, but you don't state whether that is one measurement per company per year or one measurement in each company in the first year and again in year 10 or something else entirely. Thus, it is hard to gauge the extent to which this is a problem where the residuals should be treated as coming from a time series vs a problem where the residuals covariance matrix can only be treated as being correlated.

I would direct you to the TSCSREG procedure in the ETS module or the MIXED procedure in the STAT module as places to start. The TSCSREG procedure is designed specifically to model time series data for multiple cross-sectional units (companies). The MIXED procedure has some functionality for handling time series data, but has capability for more general modeling of residual covariance structures. One or the other of those ought to handle your data pretty nicely.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation