BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
nketata
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

The macro below is very useful when you run it after a proc report because it replaces the meaningless _Ci_ with the variable labels.

However, it bugs with the following example because the numeric variables have the same label ! The Year is no longer in the output file. Would it be possible to modify the macro and add  a suffix (and get for example: REGION_A_1,  REGION_B_1, etc.) so the macro can always run;

data F1;

label x='REGION_A' y='REGION_B'; FORMAT DEP $8.;

DEP="SUMMER" ; x=200 ; Y=300; Year=2016; output;

DEP="SUMMER"; x=100; Y=40;Year=2015; output;

DEP="SUMMER"; x=800; Y=600; Year=2014; output;

DEP="WINTER" ; x=500 ; Y=500; Year=2016; output;

DEP="WINTER"; x=140; Y=140;Year=2015; output;

DEP="WINTER"; x=80; Y=60; Year=2014; output; run;

proc report data=F1 nowd out=F2(drop=_BREAK_);

column DEP year, (X Y);

define dep / group;

define year / across; run;

%renlabel(F2) does not work

%macro renlabel(dsn);

%let dsid=%sysfunc(open(&dsn));

%let cnt=%sysfunc(attrn(&dsid,nvars));

%do i= 1 %to &cnt;

%let var&i=%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,&i));

%let lab&i=%sysfunc(varlabel(&dsid,&i));

%if &&lab&i = %then %let lab&i=&&var&i;

%end;

%let rc=%sysfunc(close(&dsid));

proc datasets;

modify &dsn;

rename

%do j = 1 %to &cnt;

%if &&var&j ne &&lab&j %then %do;

&&var&j=&&lab&j

%end;

%end;;

quit;

run;

%mend renlabel;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

@nketata wrote:

Well, I am working on government spending so you realize that my files are much more complex than the example I included.

Having for example 36 variables (3 times 12 months)  with the name _Ci_ is unworkable because 1000 lines of code later, I won't remember what _C19_ or _C14_ was exactly.

Usually, the proc report is among the early steps in our process and  the rename has to be based on a  macro  because we cannot manually  rename 36 variables or more.

What happened after depends on the analytical objective: the file can be merged, split, transposed etc.

Would it be easier to create the variables and give them useful names instead of the other way round.

proc sort data=F1;
   by dep year;
   run;
proc transpose data=f1 out=t1 label=region;
   by dep year;
   var x y;
   run;
proc print;
   run; 
proc transpose data=t1 out=t2(drop=_name_) delim=_;
   by dep;
   var col1;
   id region year;
   run;
proc print;
   run;

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I reckon "we" can figure a way to help you with this but first I want to know why.  What will you do with the data set that after you rename the _Ci_ variables.

nketata
Obsidian | Level 7

Well, I am working on government spending so you realize that my files are much more complex than the example I included.

Having for example 36 variables (3 times 12 months)  with the name _Ci_ is unworkable because 1000 lines of code later, I won't remember what _C19_ or _C14_ was exactly.

Usually, the proc report is among the early steps in our process and  the rename has to be based on a  macro  because we cannot manually  rename 36 variables or more.

What happened after depends on the analytical objective: the file can be merged, split, transposed etc.

ballardw
Super User

@nketata wrote:

Since you can only ever have one variable with a given name it seems like you have a limited number of choices:

Use different labels

Use a different process see if this comes close to what you want.

data F1; 
   label x='REGION_A' y='REGION_B'; 
   FORMAT DEP $8.;
   input dep x y year;
datalines;
SUMMER 200  300 2016 
SUMMER 100  40  2015 
SUMMER 800  600 2014 
WINTER 500  500 2016 
WINTER 140 140  2015 
WINTER 80   60  2014 
; 
run;
proc summary data=f1 nway;
   class dep year;
   var x y;
   output out=work.summary (drop= _:)  sum=;
run;
data temp;
   set work.summary;
   length newvar $ 32;
   newvar= catx('_',dep,year);
run;

proc transpose data=temp out=temp2;
   by dep year;
   id newvar;
   var x y;
run;

proc report data=temp2 out=f2;
column DEP _numeric_ ;
define dep / group;
run;

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

@nketata wrote:

Would it be easier to create the variables and give them useful names instead of the other way round.

proc sort data=F1;
   by dep year;
   run;
proc transpose data=f1 out=t1 label=region;
   by dep year;
   var x y;
   run;
proc print;
   run; 
proc transpose data=t1 out=t2(drop=_name_) delim=_;
   by dep;
   var col1;
   id region year;
   run;
proc print;
   run;

Capture.PNG

nketata
Obsidian | Level 7

I will have to turn this into a macro; we don't work with clean and simple data Smiley Sad

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You need to work some intelligence into the macro, which depends on the ordering of your columns, and so probably can't be made generic.

In this case, since the PROC REPORT uses an ACROSS variable which is the values of YEAR, 2014 through 2016, then that should be relatively simple to add into the macro.

%if &i=2 %then %let lab&i = yr2014X;
%else if &i=3 %then %let lab&i = yr2014Y;
%else if &i=4 %then %let lab&i = yr2015X;

Now of course this won't work if the table is re-arranged, or has additional variables, or if YEAR has additional values, but you get the idea. Furthermore, you could get creative and turn the lines of code I just provided into a loop, which might be particularly useful if you have lots of years, or more than just X and Y variables.

In addition, there is a PROC SQL solution that might provide some benefits.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Do-Loop-to-change-variable-names/m-p/503263#M134449

(and be sure to see the correction in message 7 of that thread)

Lastly, most analyses in SAS would be done easier if you left the data in the original format, rather than having PROC REPORT rearrange the data into columns by year and variable. About the only time I re-arrange the data like this is if I want to do some sort of modeling and I need the different X and Y values by year for each record in the modelling.

--
Paige Miller
nketata
Obsidian | Level 7

Interesting but a loop is required; typing yr2014X is the same than renaming the file manually.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Then you can take the example code I gave and turn it into a loop, and you're all set.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation