BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JayDZimmerman
Fluorite | Level 6

I am working on a project to automate the creation of libraries on a metadata server.  Using methods like METADATA_NEWOBJ and METADATA_SETATTR, I am 95% there; the one thing I haven't been able to do is set the newly created library to be read-only.  Using Management Console we would do this by going to the advanced options and setting "Library access" to READONLY; can this be accomplished directly from code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JayDZimmerman
Fluorite | Level 6

After some help from SAS Technical Support and some manual poking around, I am posting a solution in case it can help someone else.

DATA _null_;
    LENGTH luri puri pturi $256;
    CALL MISSING(luri, puri, pturi);
    rc=0;

nobj=METADATA_GETNOBJ("omsobj:SASLibrary?@Name='MyTestLibrary'",1,luri);

IF (nobj > 0) THEN DO;
        rc=METADATA_SETPROP(luri, "Library.SAS.Property.ACCESS.Name.xmlKey.txt", "READONLY", puri);
       	rc=METADATA_SETATTR(puri, "PropertyName", "ACCESS");
        rc=METADATA_SETATTR(puri, "Delimiter", "=");
        rc=METADATA_NEWOBJ("PropertyType", pturi, "ACCESS Types");
        rc=METADATA_SETASSN(puri, "OwningType", "Replace", pturi);
    END;
RUN;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

It's not as simple as putting access=readonly on to the end of the libname statement, is it? I don't often (because I'm sadly in an environment where SAS metadata is scarcely used) use metadata libnames, but that's how I'd do it without metadata.

JayDZimmerman
Fluorite | Level 6

In our environment the users rely almost exclusively on the metadata information presented in Enterprise Guide; most of them have never seen a LIBNAME statement before.  Since we need the libraries to be protected from the moment the user connects from EG, we have to secure them in the metadata definitions.  Of course, I am always open to alternate ways to control access that can be handled programatically.

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

My preference would be to have it done in metadata - so you don't have to worry about it.

But a problem with EG is that someone can always access the path with their own libname statement, and I don't believe there's any way that can be stopped if their own access rights allow them to do it. So check their LDAP (or equivalent) permissions.

JayDZimmerman
Fluorite | Level 6

You are absolutely correct about the user's ability to override the readonly flag.  We are relying upon the fact that most of our users don't know about libname statements and, even if they did, they don't know what the file system structure looks like.  Consequently, they can't construct the proper libname statement.

A gotcha with this situation is that we can't enforce the permissions at the file system or authorization level because we actually need the users to be able to alter the library contents in specific cases.  In those instances we obfuscate the functionality in compiled macros, internally using the reverse of your suggestion:  issue a libname statement granting write access, executing the appropriating updates, and issuing a second libname statement flipping back to readonly.

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Ah. Well. Hmm. If the modifications to the datasets were able to be made generic enough, you could encapsulate the libname re-setting to writable, the modification to the data and the re-re-setting in a macro with options nomprint, and teach them how to do it that way.

JayDZimmerman
Fluorite | Level 6

After some help from SAS Technical Support and some manual poking around, I am posting a solution in case it can help someone else.

DATA _null_;
    LENGTH luri puri pturi $256;
    CALL MISSING(luri, puri, pturi);
    rc=0;

nobj=METADATA_GETNOBJ("omsobj:SASLibrary?@Name='MyTestLibrary'",1,luri);

IF (nobj > 0) THEN DO;
        rc=METADATA_SETPROP(luri, "Library.SAS.Property.ACCESS.Name.xmlKey.txt", "READONLY", puri);
       	rc=METADATA_SETATTR(puri, "PropertyName", "ACCESS");
        rc=METADATA_SETATTR(puri, "Delimiter", "=");
        rc=METADATA_NEWOBJ("PropertyType", pturi, "ACCESS Types");
        rc=METADATA_SETASSN(puri, "OwningType", "Replace", pturi);
    END;
RUN;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation