BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ly2105
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I want to obtain a numerical value for the 99th percentile to use later in a data step. I think it can be done in a number of ways, but ulitmately I am winsorizing my cohort. I.e., for anyone with costs greater than the 99th percentile, set their cost equal to the 99th percentile value.

This is what i have so far:  

proc univariate data = mydata;
where age_18 = 1;
class &var1;
var cost;
run;

/* --> I want out output the 1st and 99th percentile values. Where do I "output" this value? I dont necessarily need a whole data set, just 1 number.*/ 

data mydata2; 

set mydata; 

if cost > {99th percentile value} then cost_2 = {99th percentile value}; 

if cost < {1st percentile value} then cost_2 = {1st percentile value; 

run; 

2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
The SAS Documentation for PROC UNIVARIATE seems to have a relevant example on how to save percentiles into an output dataset:
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/procstat/67528/HTML/default/viewer.htm#procstat_univaria...

And then, once you have the percentiles in an output dataset, you could make macro variables that can be used in subsequent steps.

cynthia
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

As Cynthia says, use the OUTPUT statement and specify the P1= and P99= keywords:

proc univariate data=sashelp.cars noprint;
class origin;
var MPG_City;
output out=PctlOut P1=P1 P99=P99;
run;

proc print; run;

You could also use PROC MEANS with the same syntax.

If you have multiple variables, see the article "Output percentiles of multiple variables in a tabular format."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation