BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gabon
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have 21 variables named HS04A --> HS04U with possible values 1,2,8 and 9. I need to find out for every variable how many times the value 1 occurs and make a percentage out of it (divided by all observations). Basically the variables are diseases and value 1 means disease is present for that record (a person). I need to find out for every disease in how many percent out of all the people it occurs. Then I need to output a table where the 21 variables are rows and the one column is the percentage. I include also image of the layout of desired output. Is it possible to make something like that with proc tabulate? Or should I rather find out how to do it with proc sql? Thanks in advance for any advice Smiley Happy

output9.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gabon
Calcite | Level 5

Hey Tom, thanks a lot for the idea, tried it and it worked. I did some primitive recoding, not sure if it's effective, instead of 1 I put 100 so the percentage is in format for example 3,1 instead of 0,031 and then executed proc means.

data work.subset6a;

set library.database;

keep pid HS04A--HS06U WGT;

if HS04A^=1 then HS04A=0; else if HS04a=1 then HS04A=100;

if HS04B^=1 then HS04B=0; else if HS04b=1 then HS04b=100;

if HS04C^=1 then HS04C=0; else if HS04c=1 then HS04c=100;

....etc.

run;

proc means data=work.subset6a mean maxdec=1;

var HS04A--HS04U;

freq WGT;

run;

And the output looked like this:

output11.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like you have values from a survey with the question coded as 1=YES 2=NO with 8 and 9 some type of missing categories.

If you recode it into a a nice BINARY variable then the MEAN is the PERCENTAGE.

gabon
Calcite | Level 5

Hey Tom, thanks a lot for the idea, tried it and it worked. I did some primitive recoding, not sure if it's effective, instead of 1 I put 100 so the percentage is in format for example 3,1 instead of 0,031 and then executed proc means.

data work.subset6a;

set library.database;

keep pid HS04A--HS06U WGT;

if HS04A^=1 then HS04A=0; else if HS04a=1 then HS04A=100;

if HS04B^=1 then HS04B=0; else if HS04b=1 then HS04b=100;

if HS04C^=1 then HS04C=0; else if HS04c=1 then HS04c=100;

....etc.

run;

proc means data=work.subset6a mean maxdec=1;

var HS04A--HS04U;

freq WGT;

run;

And the output looked like this:

output11.jpg

ballardw
Super User

To expand on Tom's response,with a binary 0/1 coding you can use:

var*mean*f=percent8.1 (for example to get a percent) or if you don't want % signs then use a custom picture format.

The added advantages of this coding (besides use in logistic regression)

Sum= will give you the total Yes answers

N= gives you the number of responses

gabon
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, at first I tried to recode the data with hundreds and zeros to get my mean correct, but after your advice that formatting can help, I found proc template for proc means and changed format for mean to percent and it worked, so I can have my data recoded to ones and zeros. Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation