BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
alexprocmixed
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

i want to estimate a model where around 5000 firms are nested in 30 industries and i have five observations per firm over the years 2004-2008.

I want to estimate the portion of variance in firm profits that is explained by the factor 'firm' and the portion explained by the 'industry'. Additionally i want to get the firm specific time effect (residual).

I use proc mixed:

proc mixed noclprint covtest;

class firm industry;

model profit = /solution ddfm=bw;

random intercept/sub=firm;

random intercept/sub=industry;

run;

the result i get shows me that i only have one subject instead of 5000. How can i tell sas that i have multiple observations per firm? i'm not sure how and if i have to use the 'repeated' option here? i dont find any examples with repeated observations per subject and two additional  levels (firm and industry in this case)

would be nice if you could help me!

Thanks Alex

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Alex,

Perhaps you could try:

proc mixed noclprint covtest;

class firm industry year;

model profit = year/solution ddfm=bw;

random intercept/sub=firm;

random intercept/sub=industry;

repeated year/sub=firm*industry type=ar(1);

run;

However, I am going to guess that this may be somewhat intensive for proc mixed.  You may wish to consider, if you have access to it, PROC HPMIXED.

Steve Denham

SAS Innovate 2025: Save the Date

SAS Innovate 2025 is scheduled for May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. Sign up to be first to learn about the agenda and registration!

Save the date!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

SAS Training: Just a Click Away

Ready to level-up your skills? Choose your own adventure.

Browse our catalog!

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation