BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

I met with a problem when using proc import in Unix SAS, the last variable can not be read correct, here is the code:

proc import out=t1
datafile="/home/test.csv"
dbms=csv replace;
getnames=yes;
datarow=2;
run;

proc contents data=t1;
run;

The dataset test.csv is
id state sex age
1 VA M 26
2 DC F 27
3 CA F 23
4 FL M 29
5 IL F 31

The SAS log reads as:

1 proc import out=t1
2 datafile="/home/test.csv"
3 dbms=csv replace;
4 getnames=yes;
5 datarow=2;
6 run;

Name age
is not a valid SAS name.
Problems were detected with provided names. See LOG.
7 /**********************************************************************
8 * PRODUCT: SAS
9 * VERSION: 9.1
10 * CREATOR: External File Interface
11 * DATE: 28APR09
12 * DESC: Generated SAS Datastep Code
13 * TEMPLATE SOURCE: (None Specified.)
14 ***********************************************************************/
15 data T1 ;
16 %let _EFIERR_ = 0; /* set the ERROR detection macro variable */
17 infile '/home/test.csv' delimiter = ',' MISSOVER DSD lrecl=32767 firstobs=2 ;
18 informat id best32. ;
19 informat state $2. ;
20 informat sex $1. ;
21 informat VAR4 $3. ;
22 format id best12. ;
23 format state $2. ;
24 format sex $1. ;
25 format VAR4 $3. ;
26 input
27 id
28 state $
29 sex $
30 VAR4 $
31 ;
32 if _ERROR_ then call symputx('_EFIERR_',1); /* set ERROR detection macro variable */
33 run;

and proc contents list as:

Alphabetic List of Variables and Attributes

# Variable Type Len Format Informat

4 VAR4 Char 3 $3. $3.
1 id Num 8 BEST12. BEST32.
3 sex Char 1 $1. $1.
2 state Char 2 $2. $2.

You can see the last variable age is not read correctly: first it failed to import the variable name age but replaced with VAR4, second it is read as character in stead of numeric.

Last time I used infile to read the data there was an issue with the last variable too, data_null_; kindly advised adding termstr=crlf to resolve the problem. I doubt this issue is an integration issue(Unix SAS with PC) too, can anybody suggest how to get the issue resolved?

Thanks so much for attention and help!
4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I suspect the .csv file is coming from a PC. If so, this is a common problem. The end-of-line marker for a text file is different on a PC than it is on Unix.

Run the doc2unix utility on Unix to get the right end of line and then you can get the data in reasonably.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Yes the csv file is from PC, can you advise in more detail how to run the doc2unix utility?
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello Beickham,

Doc made a little spelling mistake. It is dos2unix.

"DOS text files traditionally have CR/LF (carriage return/line feed) pairs as their new line delimiters while Unix text files traditionally have LFs (line feeds) to terminate each line" (cited from Ubuntu/tofromdos documentation)

dos2unix will convert CR/LF to LFs.

If you are running sas under debian/linux, the installation of the tofromdos package will provide you with the dos2unix and unix2dos utilities.

Regards,

yoba
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Thanks for the catch. Our Unix Admin had already installed it the first time I needed it.

I think the syntax is
dos2unix pcfilename > unixfilename
It follows the usual Unix command conventions. If it is already installed, it is also likely that the documentation is in your man pages.

If it is easier, you can download a PC version of the utility and do the conversion before moving it to the Unix box.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation