BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LeeDavis
Calcite | Level 5

I am reading Oracle tables via Proc SQL in SAS version 9.1.3.  I have successfully used SAS to read the Oracle tables for over 10 years.  The past couple of months I will run the same program, back-to-back, and get a different number of observations as a result.  I do not know if this is an Oracle database problem, or if perhaps my SAS version is unreliable or too old? 

I sometimes get values for a field that do not exist.  For example:  values for user_status should be 'Active - Promotion', 'Active - New Hire', and I will get values like 'motionActive - Pro' which is not a valid value for user_status. 

Has anyone encountered problems such as these? 

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

It's difficult to make values up.

Have you confirmed these values do not exist in the Oracle Tables? Has your Oracle DB or the ODBC engine changed? 

Are you using a specific driver or ODBC?

SAS 9.1.3 is ancient...and that is the technical term, so if you have any ability to update I would highly highly recommend it.

https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/08/02/how-old-is-your-version-of-sas-release-dates-for-sas-so...

ballardw
Super User

I wonder if you are seeing some artifact of timing. Perhaps the documentation says you only have those two values as the permanent stored value but if a new record is being created, or perhaps an existing record is being editted somewhere, perhaps that is a temporary holding value until it is committed to the data base and you are reading it before the committal completes.

A pure WAG on my part.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation