BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Calcite | Level 5
I'd like to run a sql query using SAS. The query I have includes some "SET TEMPORARY OPTION" lines that SAS doesn't seem able to handle. Does anyone know whether these kinds of SQL commands can be used in PROC SQL?

Example:
[pre]
PROC SQL;
SET TEMPORARY OPTION Temp_Extract_Column_Delimiter = ',';
SET TEMPORARY OPTION Temp_Extract_Row_Delimiter = '';
SELECT *
FROM mydatabasetable;
QUIT;
[/pre]
5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
This seems specific syntax for an other DBMS . You are right, it won't work in proc sql. Some options can be set in the proc sql statment, and using the RESET stament inside proc sql. If you can describe what you want to accomplish it would be easier to help you with more specific answers.

Regards,
Linus
Data never sleeps
Calcite | Level 5
The issues are a little odd (in my opinion), but I'll try to explain. I'm querying a Sybase database. The database has a query restriction of 5 minutes which the administrator won't budge on. Their solution to larger queries is to have me write the output to a flat file which I can import into SAS. Somehow, this output to a flat file does not have the time restriction, but the code is written to run on a Sybase application, not SAS. The query is the same except that these temporary options are defined.

The problem is that I can't incorporate their solution into an automated script. My goal was to try to set the options in PROC SQL statement so that I could generate the flat file and then automatically import it, all within SAS.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Current SAS 9.2 DOC for SAS/ACCESS for Sybase link below. Also suggest searching the SAS support website at http://support.sas.com/ for technical papers related to the topics you have referenced.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

SAS/ACCESS for Sybase:
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/59618/HTML/default/a002299547.htm
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
In your case, try to put your Sybase statements within execute ( ) blocks within proc sql:

PROC SQL;
connect to sybase ...;
execute (SET TEMPORARY OPTION Temp_Extract_Column_Delimiter = ',') by sybase;
execute (SET TEMPORARY OPTION Temp_Extract_Row_Delimiter = '') by sybase;
execute (SELECT * FROM mydatabasetable) by sybase;
disconnect from sybase;
QUIT;

This might work from a SAS syntax view. But if this will create your external file or not, you'll have to discuss with some Sybase people. I'm especially suspicious against the select statement. In my eyes Sybase might try to return the result to SAS, which is not feasible when using execute blocks.

Regards,
Linus
Data never sleeps
Calcite | Level 5
Just to update everyone, the EXECUTE statement worked when using the SAS pass-through facility.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation