BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ProcLunchbreak
Calcite | Level 5

Hello! I have datasets A and B in different formats with similar data that I'm trying to groom into a single dataset called COMBINED. All of the columns but one are working. In table A we have UserIDs with a string length of two, in table B the UserIDs have a string length of 5, but I would like to shorten it to the first two characters. My code at the moment looks like this:

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE WORK.COMBINED AS SELECT
/*Other data grooming removed here for brevity*/
A.Name as Name,
A.UserID AS UserID FROM WORK.TableA A ; INSERT INTO WORK.COMBINED ( /*list of all fields here*/ ) SELECT /*Other data grooming removed for brevity*/
B.Name AS Name,
SUBSTR(B.UserID,1,2) AS UserID FROM WORK.TableB B ; QUIT;

I receive the errors 

Column UserID could not be found in the table/view identified with the correlation name B.

Unresolved reference to table/correlation name B.

Commenting out this UserID variable, the files combine as expected. Is this not the correct way to reference table B within the substring function? Should I employ a different method in order to take the first two characters of table B's UserID string?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2
ProcLunchbreak
Calcite | Level 5

For the love of... the column name had a typo in table B.

Sometimes it's staring you in the face and you can't see it.

Thanks Kurt!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation