BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Olanike
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, I am running a Proc PLS to find the correlation between my dependent and independent variables, e.g Yield vs MinT MaxT. I am confused as to which  of the tables tells me the percentage of my variables (min T and Max T combined and separately) that explained yield.  My model was fine and below are some of my results.

Please how do I get the percentage of yield explained by a combination of  MinT and MaxT

The PLS Procedure

SC=DRY    
Percent Variation Accounted for by Partial Least Squares Factors
Number of Extracted FactorsModel EffectsDependent Variables
CurrentTotalCurrentTotal

SC=DRY 
Model Effect Loadings 
Number of Extracted FactorsMinTMaxT 
10.583192-0.81234 

Model Effect Weights
Number of Extracted FactorsMinTMaxTInner Regression Coefficients
10.628099-0.780090.243576

Dependent Variable Weights  
Number of Extracted FactorsWheat_Y  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PLS creates dimensions (sometimes called "factors" or "latent factors") which are used to predict Y. So, dimension 1 (which consists of a weighted combination of both minT and maxT) explains 4.749 percent of the Y variability, and dimension 2 (which consists of a weighted combination of both minT and maxT) explains another 0.0097% of the variability of Y. So I think the answer to your exact question "Please how do I get the percentage of yield explained by a combination of  MinT and MaxT" is given by this number, but you have to decide if you want to use one dimension, or two dimensions. 

You can obtain information that a certain percent of the variability of minT is used in dimension 1, and additional percent of variability of minT is used in dimension 2 (same is possible for maxT). You would add the VARSS option to the PROC PLS statement.

https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmmvacdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_pl...

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PLS creates dimensions (sometimes called "factors" or "latent factors") which are used to predict Y. So, dimension 1 (which consists of a weighted combination of both minT and maxT) explains 4.749 percent of the Y variability, and dimension 2 (which consists of a weighted combination of both minT and maxT) explains another 0.0097% of the variability of Y. So I think the answer to your exact question "Please how do I get the percentage of yield explained by a combination of  MinT and MaxT" is given by this number, but you have to decide if you want to use one dimension, or two dimensions. 

You can obtain information that a certain percent of the variability of minT is used in dimension 1, and additional percent of variability of minT is used in dimension 2 (same is possible for maxT). You would add the VARSS option to the PROC PLS statement.

https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmmvacdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_pl...

--
Paige Miller
Olanike
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for the response.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation