BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Daisy2
Obsidian | Level 7

For PLS does my Response (Y) need to be Normal?  I’m wondering whether I need to use my transformed Y or is it OK to use the measured data with no transformation?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

No need to be normal and no need transformation .

PLS is totally different algorithm with Least Square algorithm .

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User

No need to be normal and no need transformation .

PLS is totally different algorithm with Least Square algorithm .

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

But on the other hand, the Y variable cannot be binary or categorical, PLS doesn't work well that way (although I have done it).

--
Paige Miller
Daisy2
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks, I see that my X's need to be centered and scaled - is that right? If so, how do I do that?
Ksharp
Super User

Yes. It is true. SAS will do it for you . you don't need to do anything.

" be centered and scaled" is a part of PLS algorithm .

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Daisy2 wrote:
Thanks, I see that my X's need to be centered and scaled - is that right? If so, how do I do that?

They don't "need to be" scaled, but that's usually the way PLS is run. However, there are valid reasons why you might not want to scale the x-variables in some scenarios. So PROC PLS gives you the choice of using scaling, which is the default, or not scaling, which is the NOSCALE option.

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation