BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DJ
Calcite | Level 5 DJ
Calcite | Level 5
Hi
I need to import an excel file. My excel file contains column which has numeric as well as character values. Alhough I have mentioned "MIXED=YES", the column is read as numeric so my character values became period(.). I know that sas will read first some rows and decide the type of variable.

Is there any proc import statement which tells sas to scan all the values and then decide variable type???

Note: I dnt want to change my registry for this.

Thanks in advance.
DJ
4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The way you change it is by changing the "typeguessrows" parameter in the registry. How you do it is SAS version dependent. Search support.sas.com for it and your SAS version. Message was edited by: Doc@Duke
DJ
Calcite | Level 5 DJ
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for reply.

I am using SAS v9.2 and I dnt want to change registry settings for this. I am searching an option like GUESSROWS= for importing excel spread sheet. This option works fine with other file types.

any thoughts???
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Other suggestions: I'm afraid that you are outta luck. Because SAS uses Micro$oft tools to read Excel, you have to do it the Micro$oft way.

[I hate doing it this way as it can't be controlled through programing and is not portable, but I think that we are stuck with it.] Message was edited by: Doc@Duke
DJ
Calcite | Level 5 DJ
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks anyway for your input.

DJ

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation