BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bmac1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello SAS community,
I am starting to use Proc GAMPL (SAS version 9) for some time series analyses.

The response I am using is a continuous variable (e. g., sizes or abundances of an animal caught in the field).
What is the default distribution and link used if neither of these are specified on the Model statement line? I cannot find this information in the Proc GAMPL description.
Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I don't see it either, but you can easily test what I think it is.  I assume the distribution is normal and the link is the identity link.  Try running these two versions (based on the first example in the PROC GAMPL documentation - the lidar dataset is in C:\Program Files\SASHome94\SASFoundation\9.4\hpstat\sample\hpgamex1.sas if you are working from a Windows install):

proc gampl data=Lidar seed=12345;
   model LogRatio = spline(Range/details);
   output out=LidarOut pred=p;
run;
model LogRatio = spline(Range/details)/dist=normal link=identity;
output out=LidarOut2 pred=p;
run;

proc compare base=lidarout comp=lidarout2;
run;

If PROC COMPARE doesn't detect any differences in the two output datasets, it seems likely that the default is normal/identity.  If there are trivial differences, that is still likely the case.  If there are major differences, then try some logical choices for the link= option.

SteveDenham

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I don't see it either, but you can easily test what I think it is.  I assume the distribution is normal and the link is the identity link.  Try running these two versions (based on the first example in the PROC GAMPL documentation - the lidar dataset is in C:\Program Files\SASHome94\SASFoundation\9.4\hpstat\sample\hpgamex1.sas if you are working from a Windows install):

model LogRatio = spline(Range/details);
   output out=LidarOut pred=p;
run;
model LogRatio = spline(Range/details)/dist=normal link=identity;
output out=LidarOut2 pred=p;
run;

proc compare base=lidarout comp=lidarout2;
run;

If PROC COMPARE doesn't detect any differences in the two output datasets, it seems likely that the default is normal/identity.  If there are trivial differences, that is still likely the case.  If there are major differences, then try some logical choices for the link= option.

SteveDenham

bmac1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello SteveDenham,

Thank you and the other community members for very helpful replies and suggestions.  This is a good idea to try the analysis as you suggest and compare results.

I did notice when runnning the GAMPL Procedure that part of the output includes a table called “Model Information”.  The table states what the distribution and link function are, along with listing some other information.  And indeed, the defaults are “normal” and “identity”. 🙂

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @bmac1,

I agree with @SteveDenham (who has replied faster): It appears that DIST=NORMAL (and LINK=IDENTITY) is the default. At least that is what I get for each of the four examples in the documentation (omitting the DIST= option) and it also seems plausible. The section "Model Information" of the procedure output contains this information when you have run a PROC GAMPL step.

I think it's an unusual omission in the MODEL statement documentation (also for PROC GAM). The default link function for each distribution can be found in Table 8 on that documentation page.

bmac1
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you !

Yes, I also saw it in the Model Information table of the Proc output.

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

I had a look at the SAS documentation

for the CAS procedure GAMMOD and

for its corresponding MVA counterparts GAM & GAMPL.

PROC GAM (The GAM Procedure) has this in its Details drop-down :
Distribution Family and Canonical Link

... and there it is written :
The Gaussian Model
For a Gaussian model, the link function is the identity function, and the generalized additive model is the same as the additive model. The Gaussian model is selected by default or when you specify the DIST=GAUSSIAN option in the MODEL statement.

But I see no similar details section for the GAMPL procedure, neither for GAMMOD.
If you find a shortcoming in the documentation, please use the feedback button in the top-right corner and mention this.

Thanks,

Koen

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

In general, the normal distribution with identity link is the default for all generalized linear model regression procedures that support a variety of distributions and links. This is true for most statistical software, not only SAS.

However, that does not excuse the doc from omitting that information. I am glad Koen found an instance in the doc that confirms everyone's assumptions.

bmac1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Rick_SAS,

Thank you! Yes, it is normal and identity.  I found it also in the Model Information table of the Proc's output, as well.  

bmac1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Koen,

Yes, thank you for the helpful reply!  I also noticed the default distribution and link information is in fact presented in the Model Information table of the GAMPL output too. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 5 in conversation