BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AmitKB
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I was able to run form a 5000 nodes matrix in around 2 hours. But when i run for a 8000 nodes matrix it just ends in a second with no error. Is it memory issue or something else.

Appreciate you help.

Amit

Code:

proc fcmp;

array A[8000,8000] / nosymbols;

array Ident[8000,8000] / nosymbols;

array Z[8000,8000] / nosymbols;

array P[8000,8000] / nosymbols;

do i = 1 to 8000;

do j = 1 to 8000;

A[i, j] = RANUNI(12345);

if A[i, j] le .4 then A[i, j] = 0;

else A[i, j] = 1;

A[i, j] =  0.5*A[i, j];

Ident[i,j] = A[i,j];

end;

end;

call IDENTITY (Ident);

CALL SUBTRACTMATRIX (Ident, A, Z);

CALL INV (Z, P);

rc = write_array('result', p);

run;

log:

NOTE: PROCEDURE FCMP used (Total process time):

real time           0.24 seconds

cpu time            0.01 seconds

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The matrix being inverted seems a bit large, and memory may indeed be an issue.  Have you tried increasing the memory buffers?

Although it won't help with the memory, we can speed up the processing a bit by replacing your A[I,J] IF-THEN/ELSE assignment statements.

r=ranuni(12345);

a[i,j] = 0*(r<=.4)+.5*(r>.4);

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The matrix being inverted seems a bit large, and memory may indeed be an issue.  Have you tried increasing the memory buffers?

Although it won't help with the memory, we can speed up the processing a bit by replacing your A[I,J] IF-THEN/ELSE assignment statements.

r=ranuni(12345);

a[i,j] = 0*(r<=.4)+.5*(r>.4);

AmitKB
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Art,

Appreciate your help. I have previously taken you class on Macro programming. It was really helpful. Thank you for being a great teacher.

It is memory issue. How can i increase the memory buffer as you mentioned? How does one find how much the memory buffer is?

Also I have updated my code to remove the if then else.

Regards,

Amit

ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

An earlier thread on memory usage and matricies can be found at: https://communities.sas.com/message/140513#140513

The system option for memory allocation is MEMSIZE.  You may also get more detailed responses in the SAS/IML forum, which specializes in issues with matrix manipulation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation