BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to export data from SAS to an existing sheet in an Excel doc called Cust_Report.  The sheet name is "MTD".  I would like to overwrite the existing sheet but it creates a new sheet called "MTD1" instead.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace an existing sheet in Excel?  I use SAS 9.3. 

Thank you so much in advance for any input!  Here is my code:

PROC EXPORT DATA = Total

OUTFILE = "C:\My_docs\Cust_Report.xlsx"

DBMS=EXCEL2000 REPLACE;

Sheet = "MTD";

QUIT;

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions !

Pawan, I will try your 'template' method.  This is what I came up with in the meantime:

LIBNAME xls EXCEL "C:My_docs\Cust_Report.xls"

PROC Datasets lib = xls nolist;

delete MTD;

Quit;

Data xls.MTD;

set cust_data;

run;

LIBNAME xls clear;

Proc datasets deletes the existing 'range' and the subsequent data steps creates/overwrites the Sheet MTD.

Cheers Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi: I wonder whether your mismatch between DBMS= and the file extension of XLSX is making things difficult? I thought that XLSX files were part of Office 2007, NOT Office 2000. So I thought you needed DBMS=Office2007 for .XLSX. See Example 4 in this Tech Support note: 42981 - Microsoft Excel files that have the .xlsx extension cannot be exported.

I no longer have SAS 9.3 to test with and I know that there were some changes to the EXPORT procedure syntax that were needed because of "bitness" issues (32 bit Office, 64 bit SAS for example) that might also make Export not work correctly.

You might want to work with Tech Support so they can replicate your SAS, your Office and your bitness to figure out what is happening.

cynthia

cwcaulkins
Fluorite | Level 6

"bitness"? Is that a new "SAS-ism"? Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

pawan
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Kevin,

I face this issue every often and I dont think it is any "bit" issue. But I did overcome this by a very awkward way. Suppose If want to load data into an Excel having a sheet named as "MPT" then I wouldnt create the template first and load the data rather I would generate the Excel first and then use the generated Excel as a template(this will have the sheet created with name as "MPT" and make necessary formats to the template) and keep loading the data from next instance.

Give a try, nothing wrong.. it's a magic Smiley Wink

All the Best!!

KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions !

Pawan, I will try your 'template' method.  This is what I came up with in the meantime:

LIBNAME xls EXCEL "C:My_docs\Cust_Report.xls"

PROC Datasets lib = xls nolist;

delete MTD;

Quit;

Data xls.MTD;

set cust_data;

run;

LIBNAME xls clear;

Proc datasets deletes the existing 'range' and the subsequent data steps creates/overwrites the Sheet MTD.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Gregor
Obsidian | Level 7

Unfortunately, this does not work in my case. I use a similar code but within a loop, where I create an excel file in every step:

%let copycmd1 = COPY "&manpath.\Stoch_Vorlage.xls"

"&manpath.\Stoch_&klasse..xls" ;

data _null_;

option noxwait;

X &copycmd1;

run;

libname excel1 excel "&manpath.\Stoch_&klasse..xls";

PROC Datasets lib = excel1 nolist;

delete KLASSE;

Quit;

Data excel1.KLASSE;

set ref_&jj;

run;

libname excel1 clear;

PROC Delete data = work.ref_&jj;

%end;

Log tells me my prepared data sheet 'KLASSE' would not exsist and creates a new one 'KLASSE1'

NOTE: Libref EXCEL1 was successfully assigned as follows:

Engine: EXCEL

Physical Name: Q:\[correct directory]\Stoch_12_42 .xls

MPRINT(ALLKLASSE): PROC Datasets lib = excel1 nolist;

MPRINT(ALLKLASSE): delete KLASSE;

MPRINT(ALLKLASSE): Quit;

NOTE: The file EXCEL1.KLASSE (memtype=DATA) was not found, but appears on a DELETE statement.

NOTE: PROCEDURE DATASETS used (Total process time):

real time 0.01 seconds

cpu time 0.00 seconds

Result: in Stoch_12_42 .xls, KLASSE is not replaced, but the data has been added in a new sheet KLASSE1.

There are references from graphics to KLASSE which I do not want to calculate individually but to be created in each loop step respectively.

Thanks

Gregor

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation