BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there,

I am working on positioning data elements in SAS to exact record postions and then creating a text file? But  for some reason I am not able to get the data show in the correct columns.

I need to submit some patient data to National Death Index registry to obtain their date and cause of death.  So for each data elements, certain numbers of spaces are allowed: For instance Last name (1-20) First name (21-35)

SSN (37-45) and so on... I am attaching that document; chapter 2 and page 14-18 provide the guidance on how the data should be prepared.

The data is originally in excel file. I am attaching a portion of (unreal) data in the excel file. The first sheet of the excel file has some (unreal) data, that I tried to copy paste in the following SAS code in order to position the each data element to the positons as instructed in the PDF doc. The second sheet in the attached excel file shows the SAS output data. Please take a look and you'll know how the data is misplaced, not under the respective columns headings.

I needed to assign the spaces/positions to each element in SAS and then convert it to a text file without any delimiters. Below is the SAS code that I am using and the SAS output file is on sheet 2, which shows that the data is not in the correct columns. I am not sure if there's a specific way to enter the data in the SAS code. I just copy pasted it from the excel file into the SAS code.

data test;

input Last_Name $ 1-20 @21 First_Name $ 21-35 @36 Middle_Initial $ 36 @37 Social_Security_Number  37-45  @46Month_of_Birth  46-47 @48 Day_of_Birth 48-49 @50 Year_of_Birth 50-53 @54 Father_Surname $ 54-71  @72 Age_Unit_at_death_ 72 @73 Number_of_Age_Units_death 73-74 @75 Sex $ 75 @76 Race $ 76 @77 Marital_Status $ 77 @78 State_Residence $ 78-79 @80 State_Birth $ 80-81 @82 Control_ID_number 82-91  @92 Age_in_1991 92-97;

datalines;

asdad dasdad 121331313 06    18 1928 M CA 10001        62

adad adad 121212121 02    23 1934 M CA 10002        56

adad adad 021212121 02    23 1934 M CA 10002        56

bnvn vnbvbn 021111212 10    27 1917 F CA 10003        72

rty lfghdh 326598542 07    31    1919 M CA 10008        71

sada bnmb 326512522 06    26 1933 M CA 10010        57

sdfsf ftgh 010201020 07    12 1920 M CA 10011        70

run;

Please take a look and let me know if you could offer any suggestions/guidance on this.

Thanks so much!

Ashwini

31 REPLIES 31
Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

The other two PDFs are: original EXcel data and the SAS output data obtained after running the code.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Your SAS input specification is according the NDI Specs.

Your test data does NOT look the NDIS Specs, you have to put those in the same positions as described

(Looks like a Cobol FD, C Struct, Java fixed length class)

Use a classic program editor with mono-type font and place your testdata in the described columns.
Do this very precise as described conform the instructions.

More easy is to use real NDI-data.
oops not a very good advice the content is sensitive privacy data.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, tha's the reason. In an attempt to de-identify the patient data, I used the unreal names and SSNs, because I was going to post it here on the forum.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the question, but it seems really simple to me. To write the data OUT from SAS you would just need to create a data step with a PUT statement that looks a lot like the INPUT statement that you posted.  You would NOT be creating a PDF file from this, but instead be creating a text file.

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Tom for the respone and sorry for the confusion. The forum doesnot allow any other file formats but PDF so I had to convert the excel into PDF format.

Secondly, the challenge I am facing is not getting the data to show in the correct columns. For instance, if you take a look at the 2nd PDF (Portion of data_SAS output) , you'll see that the first column which is for last name, includes the first name and part of SSN as well.. and same thing happens with other columns as well. I am not sure if my SAS code needs any revision or if I am required to use any more options to make sure that each column in the output SAS data file containts respective data. I have never inputted data in SAS using certain legnth for each variable data so I don't know if my code is correct or if it is missing anything.

Converting this SAS output file to text file will be the next/final step.

Hope I am making sense here and question is understood.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I still don't understand what your issue is.

If you have the data in a SAS dataset and you want to create a text file with the data in particular positions then just run a data step and create the file.  There will be no need to "convert" the file you have written since it is already being created as a text file.

So if you have successfully created a dataset named TEST with the information as specified in the data step you posted then to write a text file you need to run a data step like this:

data _NULL_;

set test;

file 'mytextfile.txt' lrecl=97 ;

put @1  Last_Name

@21 First_Name

@36 Middle_Initial

@37 Social_Security_Number

@46 Month_of_Birth

@48 Day_of_Birth

@50 Year_of_Birth

@54 Father_Surname

@72 Age_Unit_at_death_

@73 Number_of_Age_Units_death

@75 Sex

@76 Race

@77 Marital_Status

@78 State_Residence

@80 State_Birth

@82 Control_ID_number

@92 Age_in_1991

;

run;

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Tom!

From your response what I understand is that first I should import the Excel data into SAS and then run the SAS code as above to get the text file with data arranged in specified positions.

I have almost 1500 records in an Excel file with all these variables. So I'll import it in SAS first and then run the code.Hope that works..

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Should work.  If you use PROC IMPORT then SAS might not make the data with the proper types.  Also if the data is too long for the specified fields then you might have issues with the code above.  If so you can add formats to force SAS to truncate the data to fit the number of columns reserved for it in the layout.  For example:

put  @1  Last_Name $20.

@21 First_Name $15.

@36 Middle_Initial $1.

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

So Tom, after importing when I ran the code, my log shows me following errors. I am attaching the PDF too to the original post, just to make ot easy to read the log...

1          ;*';*";*/;quit;run;

2          OPTIONS PAGENO=MIN;

3          %LET _CLIENTTASKLABEL='sbhw2';

4          %LET _CLIENTPROJECTPATH='C:\Users\aerande\Documents\Project4.egp';

5          %LET _CLIENTPROJECTNAME='Project4.egp';

6          %LET _SASPROGRAMFILE=;

8          ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;

9          OPTIONS DEV=SASEMF;

10         GOPTIONS XPIXELS=0 YPIXELS=0;

11         ODS LISTING GPATH=&sasworklocation;

12         FILENAME EGHTML TEMP;

13         ODS HTML(ID=EGHTML) FILE=EGHTML ENCODING='utf-8' STYLE=Analysis

13       ! STYLESHEET=(URL="file:///C:/Program%20Files/SASHome/x86/SASEnterpriseGuide/4.3/Styles

13       ! /Analysis.css") GPATH=&sasworklocation;

NOTE: Writing HTML(EGHTML) Body file: EGHTML

14         FILENAME EGPDF TEMP;

15         ODS PDF(ID=EGPDF) FILE=EGPDF STYLE=printer SAS;

NOTE: Writing ODS PDF(EGPDF) output to DISK destination "EGPDF", printer "PDF".

16         FILENAME EGSR TEMP;

17         ODS tagsets.sasreport12(ID=EGSR) FILE=EGSR STYLE=Analysis

17       ! STYLESHEET=(URL="file:///C:/Program%20Files/SASHome/x86/SASEnterpriseGuide/4.3/Styles

17       ! /Analysis.css") GPATH=&sasworklocation ENCODING=UTF8 options(rolap="on");

NOTE: Writing TAGSETS.SASREPORT12(EGSR) Body file: EGSR

19         data _NULL_;

20           set sbhw.SBHW_SAS;

21           file 'SBHW_text.txt' lrecl=97 ;

22           put @1  Last_Name

23               @21 First_Name

24               @36 Middle_Initial

25               @37 Social_Security_Number

26               @46 Month_of_Birth

27               @48 Day_of_Birth

28               @50 Year_of_Birth

29               @54 Father_Surname

30               @72 Age_Unit_at_death_

31               @73 Number_of_Age_Units_death

32               @75 Sex

33               @76 Race

34               @77 Marital_Status

35               @78 State_Residence

36               @80 State_Birth

37               @82 Control_ID_number

38               @92 Age_in_1991

39         ;

40         run;

NOTE: Variable Last_Name is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable First_Name is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Middle_Initial is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Social_Security_Number is uninitialized.

2                                        The SAS System           15:31 Tuesday, August 19, 2014

NOTE: Variable Month_of_Birth is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Day_of_Birth is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Year_of_Birth is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Father_Surname is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Age_Unit_at_death_ is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Number_of_Age_Units_death is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Marital_Status is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable State_Residence is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable State_Birth is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Control_ID_number is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable Age_in_1991 is uninitialized.

ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access C:\Windows\system32\SBHW_text.txt.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.05 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

42         %LET _CLIENTTASKLABEL=;

43         %LET _CLIENTPROJECTPATH=;

44         %LET _CLIENTPROJECTNAME=;

45         %LET _SASPROGRAMFILE=;

47         ;*';*";*/;quit;run;

48         ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;

NOTE: ODS PDF(EGPDF) printed no output.

(This sometimes results from failing to place a RUN statement before the ODS PDF(EGPDF)

CLOSE statement.)

51         QUIT; RUN;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So the error messages are saying the the variable names used in the PUT statement are not in the SAS dataset that you are trying to output.

Check the names of the variables that you actually have.

For example run

PROC CONTENTS data=sbhw.SBHW_SAS; run;

It does not matter to the text file what names the variables have in your SAS data set, but it does matter to the SAS code that is trying to write it.

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, i checked and fixed those.

But now one error still shows up; which is-

Not sure what this means..

ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access C:\Windows\system32\SBHW_text.txt.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You might try writing the file to another folder.

From your logs it looks like you are using Enterprise Guide.

You should search for how to generate a text file in Enterprise Guide and tell it to return the file from the SAS server back to the machine that is running Enterprise Guide.

Here is an example.  You basically just need to replace the PROC EXPORT in the example with the DATA step that you now have working.

Export and download any file from SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

So I used the following code and the text file was created. Now the last issue (hopefully) I am facing here is how to make sure that there are 100 positions per record.

Where can I mention that in the code about the number of positions? I counted manually the spaces in the records; they are 99. Any suggestions?

filename NDItext 'C:\Users\SBHW\SBHWtext_1.txt';

data _null_;

file nditext;

set sbhw.SBHW_SAS1;

put @1 Last_Name

@21 First_Name

@36 Middle_Initial

@37 SSN

@46 Month

@48 Day

@50 Year

@54 Father_Surname

@72 Age_at_death

@73 Number_of_Age_Units

@75 Sex

@76 Race

@77 Marital_Status

@78 State_of_Residence

@80 State_of_Birth

@82 Control_ID

@92 Age_in_1991

@98 Blank_field;

run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

you could either force the variable to use three spaces (columns 98,99 and 100)

@98 Blank_field $3.

;

Or if the last variable, BLANK_FIELD, is literally three blank spaces then you do not even need that variable and instead your could just write the spaces.

@98 '   '

;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation