BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
thnkgreen
Calcite | Level 5

Hello.  I am an absolute beginner with SAS.  I am trying to re-write a section of SAS code to the MS Access SQL equivalent.  Please, will someone explain to me what this code is doing and what the SQL equivalent would be.  Thank you so much Smiley Happy

DATA TEMP_PAYMENT_2;

SET TEMP_PAYMENT_1;

BY DSCNMBR ICASSUF ICASTYPE MSACOMP DCSPOL DCSCERT DESCENDING DCSADD;

IF FIRST.DSCNMBR AND FIRST.ICASSUF AND FIRST.ICASTYPE AND FIRST.MSACOMP AND FIRST.DCSPOL

! AND FIRST.DCSCERT;

RUN;

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

Equivalent SAS code:

DATA TEMP_PAYMENT_2;

SET TEMP_PAYMENT_1;

BY DSCNMBR ICASSUF ICASTYPE MSACOMP DCSPOL DCSCERT DESCENDING DCSADD;

IF FIRST.DCSCERT;

RUN;

Assuming a duplicate record situation its keep only the first record based on the record key combination of:

DSCNMBR ICASSUF ICASTYPE MSACOMP DCSPOL DCSCERT

There isn't an easy way to replicate this in SQL and I wouldn't recommend it.

thnkgreen
Calcite | Level 5

If you *HAD* to replicate it, what would you do?

DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

maybe

proc sql;

create table want as select

t1.*

from

have t1

inner join (

select DSCNMBR, ICASSUF, ICASTYPE, MSACOMP, DCSPOL, DCSCERT, min(DCSADD) as MinDCSADD

from have

group by DSCNMBR, ICASSUF, ICASTYPE, MSACOMP, DCSPOL, DCSCERT

) t2

on t1.DSCNMBR = t2.DSCNMBR and t1.ICASSUF = t2.ICASSUF and t1.ICASTYPE = t2.ICASTYPE and t1.MSACOMP = t2.MSACOMP and t1.DCSPOL = t2.DCSPOL

and t1.DCSCERT = t2.MinDCSADD

;

quit;

thnkgreen
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you both for your suggestions.  I am still having trouble with this.  I am wanting to re-write this code in MS Access SQL. 

Reeza
Super User

Does your table have more columns than listed in By statement?

Can you have duplicates by dcsadd?

thnkgreen
Calcite | Level 5

It does have more columns than listed in the BY statement.  There are 22 columns.  I "think" that duplicates are ok in DCSADD.  The reason that I know the proposed SQL isn't working right is because I know how many records I am supposed to be getting back, 717843.  The original data set is 3823873, then after the SQL code it should be 717843.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I would elaborate on what you are having difficulty with, DBailey's code above should work
---

select

t1.*

from

have t1

inner join (

select DSCNMBR, ICASSUF, ICASTYPE, MSACOMP, DCSPOL, DCSCERT, min(DCSADD) as MinDCSADD

from have

group by DSCNMBR, ICASSUF, ICASTYPE, MSACOMP, DCSPOL, DCSCERT

) t2

on t1.DSCNMBR = t2.DSCNMBR and t1.ICASSUF = t2.ICASSUF and t1.ICASTYPE = t2.ICASTYPE and t1.MSACOMP = t2.MSACOMP and t1.DCSPOL = t2.DCSPOL

and t1.DCSCERT = t2.MinDCSADD

---

However bear in mind you need to have the data in Access, and change the from statements to point to your data in Access.  If your having issues with Access, then best to ask on a forum dedicated to the application, whilst I have some knowledge of access I wouldn't start using it for anything, its more of a toy database.  Check out MySQL, Postgre, SQLServer etc or one of the many others.  All of them are better than Access in many ways.

Char
Obsidian | Level 7

I think this works in SAS but not sure in Access...

PROC SQL;                                                                                                                              

CREATE TABLE TEMP_PAYMENT_2 AS                                                                                                         

SELECT DSCNMBR, ICASSUF, ICASTYPE, MSACOMP, DCSPOL, DCSCERT, MAX(DCSADD) AS DCSADD                                                     

FROM TEMP_PAYMENT_1                                                                                                                    

GROUP BY DSCNMBR, ICASSUF, ICASTYPE, MSACOMP, DCSPOL, DCSCERT;                                                                        

QUIT;  

thnkgreen
Calcite | Level 5

I tried the following code and got back 3823873 records.  It is as if the code didn't do anything.  I am wondering if I should have First in this code somewhere??

select *

from TEMP_PAYMENT_1 t1

inner join (select DSCNMBR, ICASSUF, ICASTYPE, MSACOMP, DCSPOL, DCSCERT, min(DCSADD) as MinDCSADD

from TEMP_PAYMENT_1

group by DSCNMBR, ICASSUF, ICASTYPE, MSACOMP, DCSPOL, DCSCERT) t2

on t1.DSCNMBR = t2.DSCNMBR and t1.ICASSUF = t2.ICASSUF and t1.ICASTYPE = t2.ICASTYPE and t1.MSACOMP = t2.MSACOMP and t1.DCSPOL = t2.DCSPOL and t1.DCSCERT = t2.DCSCERT

Reeza
Super User

First is only valid in SAS data steps and not part of SQL.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation