BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Nikos
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I try to import in SAS multiple EXCEL files.

Specifically I import "Named ranges" that reside in various spreadsheets (from various EXCEL files).

Each "named range" has a name like

BLUE_GREEN_WHITE_N_P_1999

BLUE_GREEN_WHITE_N_P_2000

BLUE_RED_WHITE_N_P_1999

BLUE_RED_WHITE_N_P_2000

etc.

Is it possible to "parse" the above names i.e. BLUE, GREEN, WHITE, N, P, 1999 to create:

1.- variables with these names that will be added to the right of the imported "named range" area

2.- populate these variables with their names

New created variables                               Named range                      

BLUE  GREEN   WHITE  N P   1999        VAR1  VAR2 ..........................VAR20

BLUE   GREEN   WHITE   N   P   1999          4555   555                               566

BLUE   GREEN   WHITE   N   P   1999          4555   555                               566

.........................................................................................................................

I would like to thank you in advance

Best regards

Nikos

2 REPLIES 2
art297
Opal | Level 21

How do you indicate the named ranges when you import the worksheets?  If you do it with a macro, you could just pass the named range into the macro, and then use the macro variable to both identify it during the import and to create the desired variable.

Ksharp
Super User

How about:

data _null_;
input file $40.;
call execute(catt('libname x',_n_,' excel "',file,'" getnames=no;'));
cards;
c:\temp\a.xls
c:\temp\b.xls
c:\temp\c.xls
c:\temp\d.xls
;
run;
data _null_;
 set sashelp.vmember(where=(libname like 'X%' and memname like '%_N_P_%')) end=last;
 if _n_ eq 1 then call execute('data want; set ');
 call execute(cats(libname,'."',memname,'"n'));
 if last then call execute("indsname=_dsname;tname=scan(_dsname,-2,'_','kad');run;");
run;

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation