BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tecla1
Quartz | Level 8

Good afternoon,

when programs are too heavy it's possible to work in background?

Tnks , Tecla

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

In a stand alone SAS install you should be able to click on your program icon or however you start SAS to get another session.

This second session will not have your profile loaded if running Foundation (or Base or Display Manager) because the first session will have locked the catalog. So some of your customizations of the SAS session may not be available if you have any.

If you know which programs are likely to run long I suggest running those in the second session (or third or other sessions) so your customizations are available. Or save the program code and use system tools to navigate to the location of the saved code, right click on the program file and try "Batch Submit". That will not create an interactive session and you will want to check the Log file created to make sure things ran as expected.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

@Tecla1 wrote:

Good afternoon,

when programs are too heavy it's possible to work in background?

Tnks , Tecla

I haven't weighed any programs since I stopped having to use punch cards for code.Smiley Happy

If you mean to have a SAS program run while continuing to do other work in SAS you will likely need to describe what your environment is such as which version of SAS you are using Foundation, EG, SAS studio and whether you are working with a SAS server or stand-alone.

You may be able to have two, or more, SAS sessions running at the same time depending on your set up. So you could start another session either interactive or batch to run a program that takes a long time to run.

Tecla1
Quartz | Level 8

Tnks for your kindly replay,

so I can start programs in another session… I try … I'm afraid to stop all my system !!!

Tnsk, Tecla

ballardw
Super User

In a stand alone SAS install you should be able to click on your program icon or however you start SAS to get another session.

This second session will not have your profile loaded if running Foundation (or Base or Display Manager) because the first session will have locked the catalog. So some of your customizations of the SAS session may not be available if you have any.

If you know which programs are likely to run long I suggest running those in the second session (or third or other sessions) so your customizations are available. Or save the program code and use system tools to navigate to the location of the saved code, right click on the program file and try "Batch Submit". That will not create an interactive session and you will want to check the Log file created to make sure things ran as expected.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Just a side note: To avoid the profile conflict mentioned by ballardw, you can set the RSASUSER system option, which I normally use on my computer and only rarely switch to NORSASUSER (see this older post).

Tecla1
Quartz | Level 8

Many tnks for your kindly help !!!

have a nice WE!!!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation