BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TimH
Quartz | Level 8

I have a set of observations with date, section, rank, and identifier.   I want to have a report with a row for each rank, a column for each date, and the identifier as the value in the column.

SectionRankdate1date2date3
Receiving1JoePeteJoe
2SamSamPete
3PeteJoeSam
(next section)

How do I do this with PROC REPORT?  What I've tried so far gives me a collection of rows with a 1 or a ',' in each column and the identifiers on the right side.

I defined Rank as an ORDER variable (tried GROUP) too.  DATE as an ACROSS variable.  I've tried the identifier as COMPUTED and as just a column.  I tried it as an ANALYSIS variable but it's not numeric.

4 REPLIES 4
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

You have to use a little trick but I can't think of the explanation of how it works right now.  Perhaps will have the relevant facts to share.

4-16-2014 8-31-51 AM.png

data across;
   input section $ @;
   do rank=1 to 3;

do date=1 to 3;

input id $ @;
         output;

end;

end;

cards;
Receiving
Joe   Pete  Joe
Sam   Sam   Pete
Pete  Joe   Sam
Shipping
Joe   Pete  Joe
Sam   Sam   Pete
Pete  Joe   Sam
;;;;
   run;
proc print;

run;
proc report nowd list;

columns section rank date, id dummy;
   define section / group;

define rank / group;

define date / across;

define id / display ' ';

define dummy / noprint;

run;
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Yes, I have an explanation of why you need the "trick" on pages 4, 5 and 6 of this paper: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS388-2014.pdf -- basically, PROC REPORT needs a numeric variable to summarize in order to collapse the rows with the GROUP usage. So there has to be a numeric variable or a statistic like N (even if it's NOPRINT) in order for the character values to be placed underneath the ACROSS items.

cynthia

TimH
Quartz | Level 8

That worked well.  Now a follow-on question - If I added a variable for what they were ranked by (say sales), could I show ID and sales at the intersection of each date and rank?

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

You would need to change the syntax of your COLUMN statement. The PROC REPORT documentation shows how to use the comma operator with parentheses to group items under an ACROSS usage variable. Showing the code you've tried and a sample of your data would be very helpful. In addition, knowing your final ODS destination of choice (part of your code) would be helpful too.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation