BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
buttadam
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all,

I've been using SAS for a decent amount of time with a financial model for superannuation investment.  Basically what I've done already is built a model that optimizes (minimizes) the equity allocation using the average of a simulated objective function (1,000 simulations).  The optimization is currently done by calculating the objective function for all possible allocations from 0% - 100% and picking the lowest value.  Now I'm looking to do something a little more complicated and would like to use PROC OPTMODEL to do the optimization.

The only problem with this is that it seems that I can't simply bring in a macro to PROC OPTMODEL that calculates the objective function.  However it seems like it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to calculate the objective function within PROC OPTMODEL given it currently involves at least 100 lines of code and an average of 1,000 output variables.

Does anyone have any ideas on what my best approach would be?  I'm leaning towards writing my own optimization program within my current code, but would love any feedback on how I could use a SAS procedure to do this - especially since there is a second variable (in addition to equity allocation) that I want to optimize against.  The optimization itself should be fairly easy - as the constraints are linear and the objective function appears to be convex.

Thanks,

Adam.

1 REPLY 1
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Questions about PROC OPTMODEL in SAS/OR are better suited for the Mathematical Optimization and Operations Research Community.  If you still need help, please post there.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation