BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Raquell
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all! 

I need to use PROC LCA for a project I am working on, however the company I work for is transitioning from SAS Base to SAS Enterprise Guide. Has anyone used PROC LCA with Enterprise Guide? Will I still be able to install the plug-in and run the code?

Thanks!!

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you can install the PROC on your SAS server (might require admin help), then the code should work from EG.  However, I believe that only Windows versions of the PROC are available.  So if your environment switch includes changing to Linux SAS (common), you might be out of luck with this custom procedure.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
Raquell
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Chris! Thanks for the quick reply. As far as I know we will keep a windows based system. Now that you mentioned installing on the server I have a follow-up question: is this safe, or could it affect SAS for other users? I am just asking as Penn State mentions the plug-in was developed for individual installations and was not tested for server installations.

Once again, thanks for your help!

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I can't speak to its "safety", but I know several SAS customers use this.  As a SAS procedure built using SAS/TOOLKIT (I assume), I'd expect the PROC modules would be loaded only when called in a SAS program, so should not affect anyone who doesn't use it.  It might even be possible to configure so that it is in the path only for certain users to even access.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
Raquell
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks!!

DWilson
Pyrite | Level 9

@Raquell wrote:

Hi Chris! Thanks for the quick reply. As far as I know we will keep a windows based system. Now that you mentioned installing on the server I have a follow-up question: is this safe, or could it affect SAS for other users? I am just asking as Penn State mentions the plug-in was developed for individual installations and was not tested for server installations.

Once again, thanks for your help!

The company at which I work produces a similar 3rd party set of procedures (SUDAAN) using the SAS/TOOLKIT and as long as the 3rd party procedure you are using is compiled to work on the operating system and SAS version used by your company then that procedure will work. It shouldn't affect anything else about the SAS system for other users.  We have run into situations where an upgrade to a minor SAS release (9.4 TS1M3 -> 9.4 TS1M4) required our procedures to be recompiled with an updated SAS/TOOLKIT. This typically isn't an issue with standalone SAS installs because each user can decided whether or not to upgrade SAS. In a server environment, however, decision to upgrade may be out of your hands and may cause 3rd party procedures to fail. Something to keep in mind when SAS or the OS get updated on the server.

We have noted an issue with SAS Studio, however. If you use SAS Studio then proc LCA output may not display in SAS Studio. This is because the SAS/Toolkit supports listing output only and SAS Studio uses html output. Your proc should work, you just won't see the output in the output window. This isn't an issue for SAS EG, however.

Raquell
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks! That's very helpful!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation