BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aska_ujita
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello there,

I am testing cattle behavior in two groups... One got habituation protocol and one is the control (no habituation).

I collected behavioral parameters: 

VariableDescription Scores
1 2 3 4 5
STOPIf the animal halted at the
entrance of the chute
No Yes, calmlyYes, in
fear
- -
HELPIf the animal received help
to enter the chute
NoVoice
command
PatOne poke with
an instrument*
Two or more pokes
with an instrument*
ENTS Speed to enter the chute Walked Trotted Ran - -
VOC If the animal vocalized No Communication Fear Pain -
RUM If the animal ruminated No Yes - - -
SNORT If the animal snorted No Yes - - -
DISPIf the animal displaced its
legs during brushing
No, it
was
calm
Yes, medium
displacement
Yes, very
unquiet
- -
MOVIf the animal moved its
body during brushing
No, it
was
calm
Yes, medium
movement
Yes, very
unquiet
- -
EARIf the animal moved its ears
during brushing
No, it
was
calm
Yes, medium
movement
Yes, very
unquiet
- -
EXTSpeed to exit the chute Walked Trotted Ran - -

I would like to make a figure similar to this one below for all these parameters above:

ssa.jpg

Can someone help me in this? 

Thank you!

Kind regards, Aska.

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can't do PCA on data that is categorical or text.

I would like to make a figure similar to this one below for all these parameters above:

Given that you can't do PCA, you can't get such a graph, which comes from PCA.

So let's take a step back. Please describe what you would like to learn from your data, then we can figure out what analysis to perform and what graphics or tables might help.

--
Paige Miller
aska_ujita
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi PaigeMiller, 

Yes, I understand that. I thought maybe to use the frequency of it (I have it from PROC FREQ).

Do you think is possible??

I would like to understand if the studied behaviors and classes used are coherent.

Thank you!!

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@aska_ujita wrote:

Hi PaigeMiller, 

Yes, I understand that. I thought maybe to use the frequency of it (I have it from PROC FREQ).

Do you think is possible??

I don't think its a good idea to decide what statistics to use until its clear what you want to learn from the data.

I would like to understand if the studied behaviors and classes used are coherent.

And perhaps because I am not an animal behavior scientist, I don't know what this means. Can you give a more detailed and concrete example?

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Since your graph image shows categories that do not apparently exist in your data then how to get to those categories might one issue. Or is the "text" shown just an example and does not match your data at all?

aska_ujita
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi ballardw, this is just an example.

I just used the graphic as an example, I would like to make a similar but with my behavioral parameter (in Table).

aska_ujita
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi PaigeMiller, yes, I understand what you mean... but my advisor asked me that.

I never did this before and I even dont understand for what is this exactly... But I am saying exactly what he told me.

Maybe I can try just with the frequency of these data?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I would ask your advisor some additional questions. 

The good thing about SAS is also that you can perform just about any analysis on any data; but this is also the bad thing about SAS, if you don't put any thought into it or don't understand what the problem requires, SAS gives you totally meaningless results.

--
Paige Miller
aska_ujita
Obsidian | Level 7

True story.

Yes, I will ask him, thank you!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I'm going to guess that you are thinking about PROC PRINQUAL, which is like PCA for ordinal data. It can make a plot for nominal data that looks similar to what you displayed. You can read about the difference between the assumptions in each procedure. PROC PRINQUAL can be used to create biplots, but I think you can also suppress the scatter plot and just look at the vector plot of variables. 

You can read more about biplots and how to create one by using PROC PRINQUAL

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation