BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi.

I am trying to overlap 2 histograms with the same scale. The best I could do so far is to get them adjacently placed but I am not sure how to overlap/superimpose them.

Any advise/help would be highly appreciated.

here is the code for how i placed them next to each other. and attaching the figure for reference.

proc sgpanel data=diabet.EAT_DMNONDM;

panelby dm ;

histogram eatcm;

density eatcm;

title ' EATs compared between DM and NonDM';

run;

Thanks much,

Ashwini

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Ashwini.

I think that you need to rearrange your data  a bit (a sample data would have helped) to have two different columns (1) eatcm for DM = 1 (something like eatcm_DM) and (2) eatcm for DM = 0 (or eatcm_nonDM)

Then you can use the SGPLOT procedure to do a histogram for eatcm_DM and eatcm_nonDM.

Below is a code that uses the sashelp.class data. In this data set there is a sex variable (M/F) and height.

I want to create an overlay histogram of height for both Male and Females.

I hope this code helps you to adjust your code:

*create a height for males and height for females variables;

data temp;

set sashelp.class;

if sex = "F" then ht_F = height;

if sex = "M" then ht_M = height;

run;

title 'Height Distribution';

proc sgplot data=temp;

histogram ht_M / fillattrs=graphdata1 name='M' legendlabel='Height for Males' transparency=0.5;

histogram ht_F / fillattrs=graphdata2 name='F' legendlabel='Height for Females' transparency=0.5;

keylegend 'M' 'F' / location=inside position=topright across=1;

xaxis display=(nolabel);

run;

Best of luck!

Anca.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Ashwini.

I think that you need to rearrange your data  a bit (a sample data would have helped) to have two different columns (1) eatcm for DM = 1 (something like eatcm_DM) and (2) eatcm for DM = 0 (or eatcm_nonDM)

Then you can use the SGPLOT procedure to do a histogram for eatcm_DM and eatcm_nonDM.

Below is a code that uses the sashelp.class data. In this data set there is a sex variable (M/F) and height.

I want to create an overlay histogram of height for both Male and Females.

I hope this code helps you to adjust your code:

*create a height for males and height for females variables;

data temp;

set sashelp.class;

if sex = "F" then ht_F = height;

if sex = "M" then ht_M = height;

run;

proc sgplot data=temp;

histogram ht_M / fillattrs=graphdata1 name='M' legendlabel='Height for Males' transparency=0.5;

histogram ht_F / fillattrs=graphdata2 name='F' legendlabel='Height for Females' transparency=0.5;

xaxis display=(nolabel);

run;

Best of luck!

Anca.

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Anca,

Thank you very much for your elaboarate response and the code explaining the histograms overlay.

I rearranged my data and used the code and I could the get a nice histograms overlay.

That was a great help!! I needed it for my presentation. Smiley Happy

Thanks a bunch again..

Regards,

Ashwini

AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

My pleasure and best of luck!

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Anca,

One more question regarding this post.

I am wondering if you have any idea about how to  add or highlight the mean value for EATCM under each histogram?

Thanks much,

Ashwini

AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi.

If you see this post:

it should do exactly what you need.

You first need to calculate the mean, save the mean values in a macro variable (unless you want to hard code them), and use an INSET statement to display the averages.

You could also insert the averages in your legend key, like this:

proc means data = temp;

var ht_m ht_f;

output out = avg mean = ;

run;

*save the means in a macro variable that you can later recall;

data _NULL_;

set avg;

call symput ("avg_M", put(ht_m,5.1));

call symput ("avg_F", put(ht_f,5.1));

run;

proc sgplot data=temp;

histogram ht_M / fillattrs=graphdata1 name='M' legendlabel='Avg. Height for Males: &avg_M.' transparency=0.5;

histogram ht_F / fillattrs=graphdata2 name='F' legendlabel='Avg. Height for Females: &avg_F' transparency=0.5;

xaxis display=(nolabel);

run;

Good luck!

Anca.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation