BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi ,

could you suggest soem useful commands and their interpretations if I want to find if there are any influential observations / outliers in my data.

Kind Regards ,
markc
4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Whether or not an observation is an outlier or influential observation (they are often thought of differently) is a function of your putative model. The UNIVARIATE procedure that Cynthia mentioned will look at several different single variable distributions.

All of the regression type statistical models in SAS 9.2 have very good ODS graphics to assist in outlier detection. There is a section with each procedure describing the diagnostic models available in the ODS Graphics.
Parker
Calcite | Level 5
For the "interpretations" part of your question, I use the mean and standard deviation to identify thresholds for univariate outliers.

For samples < 500, outliers are values that exceed [mean + or - 1.96 standard deviations]. This is equivalent to a 95% confidence interval.

If 500 < n < 5,000, [mean + or - 2.576 standard deviations]... 99% CI.

For n > 5,000, [mean + or - 3.291 standard deviations]... 99.9% CI.

For multivariate outliers, I look at Cook's D & DFFits most often.

Good luck,

Parker
SAPPER
Calcite | Level 5
just as an addition to above answers.....To find outliers with character data you can use PROC FREQ to find all the values of a particular character variable.
To find outliers in Numeric data we can use PROC Means.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation