BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have learned that I can create a SAS OLAP Cube
from a 1. detail table, 2. star schema 3. summarized table
now I wonder if I create the cube, is all the data then stored
as/in the cube and I can delete my sources?

Secondly, is my assumption right, that the source tables always have to be registered

in the meta data or can I build cubes (PROC OLAP) with tables that are not registered?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
metalray
Calcite | Level 5

Hello lacrefa,

Thanks for your reply. You are saying I have to register the tables, Linus is saying

I dont. Lets see if a third person has an opinion Smiley Happy

I dont use OLAP CUBE STUDIO but build my cubes using PROC OLAP.

And yes, I can manage my metadata I am the administrator.

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

As a general rule - as long you don't specify drill through for the cube, the source tables are not needed for reporting on the cube.

No, they don't have to, as long as Proc OLAP can read the source tables. But as a best practice, I favor havingall tables registered in metadata.

Both theses scenarios can you easily test by yourself...

Data never sleeps
metalray
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Linus,

Thanks for you input to clarify the storage. I looked through a lot of SAS documentation but could not find explained what you just said.

I did test the scenario and it did not work Smiley Wink Now, since you
say it work. I might need to look over it again.

metalray
Calcite | Level 5

Linus, I tested it again and the PROC OLAP error is "Metadata registration of table X was not found."

How did you do that?

lacrefa
Calcite | Level 5

Dear

To build a OLAP cube, you need register all tables used by the proc OLAP. To understand the mind, you need use the OLAP Cube studio.

If you can not manage your metadata, you must request to an Administrator of Metadata.

Regards

metalray
Calcite | Level 5

Hello lacrefa,

Thanks for your reply. You are saying I have to register the tables, Linus is saying

I dont. Lets see if a third person has an opinion Smiley Happy

I dont use OLAP CUBE STUDIO but build my cubes using PROC OLAP.

And yes, I can manage my metadata I am the administrator.

Thanks

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

My bad, I got carried away by that the data= option is specied in the old fashion style libname.table, not a metadata reference.

Apparently, I always use to have all my tables registered...

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation