BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi support,

Would you please let me know how to do this in PROC step in TRANSPOSE ?

For example my data is like this :

20100120;var1;var2;ID;dob;relat
20100118;var1;var2;ID;dob;relat
20100218;var1;var2;ID;dob;relat
20100218;var1;var2;ID;dob;relat

Where var1 and var2 will be like question and answer.

And I want to write the record as :

20100120;ID;dob;relat;var1;var2;var1a;var2b;var2a;var2b;var3a;var3b;

assuming var1,var2, var3 are not similar. I am trying to output using PROC TRANSPOSE and for somereason I am getting error message saying - ID value occurs twice.

Do I need to sort data and delete duplicate by merge variable ? I just used PROC SORT and didn't used nodupkey word. Please let me know.

thanks,
sasbase9
latha
8 REPLIES 8
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Curious if you attempted using PROC TRANSPOSE, after reading the DOC, and considering the examples that are available at the SAS support http://support.sas.com/ either using the SEARCH facility at the site or with an Internet search?

Also, you show 1 row for 20100120, then multiple rows for another date-related variable -- yet you attempt to describe the desired result which doesn't necessarily jive with the "input source".

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Recommended Google search, this topic/post:

proc transpose how to site:sas.com
deleted_user
Not applicable
Yes, That's correct. I have data for HRA and we get data by Completion date and by each of the question code followed by an answer in one record. I wanted to combine all of the unique questions related to that person into one record for all possible questions and I am not sure if PROC TRANSPOSE will do that.

thanks,
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Sure it can - you may need/want to summarize or GROUP your data first, before invoking TRANSPOSE.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Any example code that can site with this scenario? I never worked on PROC TRANSPOSE or grouping data like this before.

thanks for help,
sasbase9
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
As suggested, the SAS support http://support.sas.com/ website and its SEARCH facility can reveal much information for PROC TRANSPOSE - both SAS-hosted documentation and also supplemental conference/technical papers on the topic.

Also, the forum archives will provide useful reference information as well, when searched.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc. Message was edited by: sbb
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
Agreed with Scott: try the various possibilities offered by the procedure, and if you end up being stumped after trying your best, come back with some code.
deleted_user
Not applicable
hi Chris,

I tried to output using PROC TRANSPOSE and for some reason my answers for question codes are not coming out.

Here is the code I used -

proc transpose data=bcmaraw_out out=hra_rollup /*prefix= Q let */ ;
by mrgvar QUSTNCD_SHRT ;
id QUSTNCD_SHRT;
var HA_QUESTION_TEXT;
run;

- where mergvar is combination of memberID + MemDOB + RELAT + HRA DATE OF COMP .

All of my "QUSTNCD_SHRT" came out as variables in output, but corresponding answer is not outputted under question. "HA_QUESTION_TEXT" is the variable coming on data as an answer to the question.

thanks,
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Strongly suggest that you start with some instream DATALINES, or consider SASHELP.CLASS, so you can get familiar with the PROC TRANSPOSE processing.

I very much expect that you can emulate your output rqmts to-start with using SASHELP.CLASS, get the processing well-defined, then move forward (slowly) with introducing your specific data.

You need to learn the procedure/process first, then adapt the process(ing) to your specific input data conditions and output data requirements -- one step at a time.

And, remember, you know your data - we don't - so to reveal SAS code in your post/reply for which we have no clue how you mangled the input side is less-than-useful if you actually expect to get assistance from other subscribers (without making it a guessing contest).

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation