BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

Can I have multiple formats on a variable in proc report? I have some data that I want to show as a percentage so I use format=PERCENT6.2. I also want to missing values to show up as "ND" and created a format so that .='ND.' However, the following code does not work to turn missing values in 'ND.' How do I do this?

define numvar/display 'Number Variable' format=nodata. FORMAT=PERCENT6.2;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, You can, in fact, do what Reeza suggests. The syntax for her PROC FORMAT was incorrect (needs a VALUE statement), but here is a test program that you can run.

Cynthia

proc format;

value custfm

. = 'ND'

other=[percent9.2];

run;

data testit;

infile datalines;

input type $ num;

return;

datalines;

aaa 0.34

bbb 0.12

ccc 0.12

ddd 0.04

eee 0.23

fff .

ggg 0.11

hhh 0.04

iii .

;

run;

ods listing close;

title; footnote;

ods html file='c:\temp\testit.html';

proc report data=testit;

column type num;

define type /order;

define num / f=custfm.

style(column)={just=r};

rbreak after / summarize;

run;

ods html close;

use_format_for_ND.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

Create a custom nested format and use that instead:

proc format;

format sarah_custom_fmt

. = 'ND'

other=[percent6.2];

run;

jwillis
Quartz | Level 8

"ND" is a character value.  A single dot is a numeric representation.  Percent6 is a numeric format.  The only way I see to do what you want is to render/output the numeric variable as a character variable in the percent6 format.  When the numeric dot value is encountered, it will be written/rendered as the character value ND.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, You can, in fact, do what Reeza suggests. The syntax for her PROC FORMAT was incorrect (needs a VALUE statement), but here is a test program that you can run.

Cynthia

proc format;

value custfm

. = 'ND'

other=[percent9.2];

run;

data testit;

infile datalines;

input type $ num;

return;

datalines;

aaa 0.34

bbb 0.12

ccc 0.12

ddd 0.04

eee 0.23

fff .

ggg 0.11

hhh 0.04

iii .

;

run;

ods listing close;

title; footnote;

ods html file='c:\temp\testit.html';

proc report data=testit;

column type num;

define type /order;

define num / f=custfm.

style(column)={just=r};

rbreak after / summarize;

run;

ods html close;

use_format_for_ND.png
jwillis
Quartz | Level 8

Cynthia,

Thank you for all that you post.  Please explain the use of the brackets in the format using a Value statement.  I cannot (easily) find a description of the use of brackets in a value format.  Also, the documentation I found says that a value statement is for characters so I am confused why you would use a character format on a numeric field.  Are you letting SAS convert the number to a character?  If you will point me to the correct documentation/learning resource, I will be grateful.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/61895/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002473472.htm

ballardw
Super User

The use of brackets is to use another predefined format for that range of values.

A value statement is for character values IF you define it as so by starting the format name with $, otherwise the format is numeric. An you can have character and numeric formats with the same names except for the $ prefix.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, jwillis:

To specifically address your question about the doc. I believe you were misinterpreting the statement in the doc. It says:

VALUE Statement

Creates a format that specifies character strings to use to print variable values.

Perhaps it could have been worded better -- the format specifies a character string (or label) to use for the display of the variable values (a format can be used for character variables or numeric variables. You list the variable values to be labeled on the left side of the = sign and you list the labels to be used or the character string for the label on the right side of the = sign.) But a format can be used for variables which are character type or numeric type.

So, if I have a numeric variable called Otype whose internal values can be 1, 2 or 3, I can use the numeric format shown below. On the other hand, if I have a character variable called CODE, whose values could be OH, IN or MI, I might have a $STATE format and a $SILLY format to use to display those values:

proc format;

value ordtyp 1='Retail'

2='Catalog'

3='Internet';

value $state 'OH' = 'Ohio'

'IN' = 'Indiana'

'MI' = 'Michigan';

value $silly 'OH' = 'Oh No, Mr. Bill'

'IN' = 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'

'MI' = 'Mi Casa es Su Casa';

run;

What is on the LEFT side of the equal sign is the variable value that you want displayed differently. What is on the RIGHT side of the equal sign is the character string or label that should be used for that specific value (or range of values). When I specify a variable VALUE for a numeric variable on the left side of the equal sign, the numeric values are unquoted and the format name does NOT start with a $. But when I specify a variable VALUE for a character variable, the character values are quoted on the left side of the equal sign.

There's an example below.

Cynthia

data usefmt;

infile datalines dlm=',' dsd;

input name $ Otype state $ code $;

return;

datalines;

alan,1,OH,MI

barb,2,IN,OH

carl,3,MI,IN

;

run;

proc format;

value ordtyp 1='Retail'

2='Catalog'

3='Internet';

value $state 'OH' = 'Ohio'

'IN' = 'Indiana'

'MI' = 'Michigan';

value $silly 'OH' = 'Oh No, Mr. Bill'

'IN' = 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'

'MI' = 'Mi Casa es Su Casa';

run;

ods html file='c:\temp\useformat.html';

proc print data=usefmt;

title 'Use Character and Numeric Formats';

var name Otype state code;

format Otype ordtyp. state $state. code $silly.;

run;

ods _all_ close;

jwillis
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Cynthia.
May I assume that brackets in a format are the same as quotes?   other=[percent9.2];

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Quotes are used in SAS to denote literal values. The brackets in the VALUE statement are used to tell SAS that what is inside is the NAME of another format to apply.  If you used quotes then it would just display the name of the format rather than use the format to display the value. 

sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

HI All,

Thanks! I used Reeza's suggestion (correcting the value statement) and it worked. Thanks!

Sarah

Ksharp
Super User

another way is

if ...... then call define( _col_,'format', 'format=percent8.2' );

Xia Keshan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 7 in conversation