BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
johnlfn
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, 

I have 2 datasets with a common identifier variable (I'll call them base and append).   Many variables in the base dataset are also in the append dataset (e.g. both have a phonenumber variable).

What I'd like to do is merge the append dataset onto the base dataset using the common identifier to match.  I'd like to keep only records from the base dataset.

In the case of a match, I'd like to update the variables in the base dataset with values from the append dataset.   However, if the value for any variable in the append dataset is blank or missing, but it is populated in the base dataset, I'd like to keep the value of the base dataset.

Lastly, any varables that are only in the append dataset would be added to the base dataset.

Does anyone have code to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
4 REPLIES 4
art297
Opal | Level 21

Have you looked into the update statement in a datastep?  If not, take a look at:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/basess/58133/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a001329151.htm

johnlfn
Calcite | Level 5

This looks to be exactly what I need.  Thank you!

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I think that this is what the UPDATE statement is meant to do.  Check the documentation for your version of SAS.

johnlfn
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation