BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Kiko
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi 

I am trying to merge two datasets- I posted a similar question a few days ago; however there have been some changes so I am posting it again. I'd like to combine set A and set B. Set B is a subset of set A, and I'd like to have my master dataset to have everyone who is in set B, with all of the variables from set B and some of the variables from set A. Can someone tell me how to do this? 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

And you will get exactly the same answer you got on the other post, of which I note you haven't responded or marked any answer correct.  If you want help then post a good question - post example test data in the form of a datastep, and what you want the output to look like.  Make sure your problem is fully explained and the test data contains enough information.

So from your text:

data want;
  merge a (in=a) b (in=b);
  by <id_variables>;
  if b;
run;

Note I don't knowwhat your data looks like so cant put in the id variables, and will assume its sorted etc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

One way would look something like

proc sql;
   create table want as
   select b.*, a.var1, a.var2
   from b left join a
    on b.id = a.id;
quit;

list each variable from a that you want by name with the table name prefacing the variable. IF any of the A variables you want exist in B you'll have to decide what to do as you can only have one variable by that name in the resulting set.

the on clause would list pairs of variable names used with AND between each pair of there are more than one to identify the match.

NOTE: if the matching variables are duplicated in either A or B you'll get on record for each match. So if ID=1 appears twice in B and 3 times in A you would get 6 records with ID=1 in the result.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

And you will get exactly the same answer you got on the other post, of which I note you haven't responded or marked any answer correct.  If you want help then post a good question - post example test data in the form of a datastep, and what you want the output to look like.  Make sure your problem is fully explained and the test data contains enough information.

So from your text:

data want;
  merge a (in=a) b (in=b);
  by <id_variables>;
  if b;
run;

Note I don't knowwhat your data looks like so cant put in the id variables, and will assume its sorted etc.

Kiko
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks RW9! Thank you for your comment. I tried what you suggested below and it worked fine. Actually, the tedious part was to create a UID (I used dob first last name etc) and find matching records...Anyway, thank you!

daniel_ward
Calcite | Level 5

Multiple SAS data sets can be merged based on a specific common variable to give a single data set. This is done using the MERGE statement and BY statement. The total number of observations in the merged data set is often less than the sum of the number of observations in the original data sets. It is because the variables form both data sets get merged as one record based when there is a match in the value of the common variable.

DATA All_details;
MERGE SALARY(IN=a) DEPT(IN=b);
BY (empid);
IF a=1 and b=1;
RUN;
PROC PRINT DATA=All_details;
RUN;

SAS certification online practice exams

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation