BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello all,

In survival analysis (using, say, Kaplan-Meier curves) how can I do such comparisons between two arms? I know log-rank test, but that test is for comparison of two entire survival curves, not just medial survival time or survival rate at certain time point (say, survival rate at 12 months). Personally I don't think this type of comparison is reasonable, and actually I cannot find such single-point comparison in any survival books or statsitical journals, -- I only see this occasionally in certain poster presentations. However, we are sometimes requested to do this by some physicians (like difference or even 95% C.I. of difference of two 12-month survival rates). Any option(s) in, say, "lifetest"? Any suggestions? Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Ksharp
Super User
Hi.
Maybe you should use Wilcoxon-rank-sum-test ,because it is nonparameter statistical method which is robust for any distribution. And log-rank is most powerful only for the survival curves both paralleled.

Ksharp
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Logistic regression may do what you want. It will handle the failure at a single point in time. It won't handle censoring.

I agree that a complete survival analysis is more powerful, but there are times when it makes clinical sense to address the outcome at a specific point in time. Message was edited by: Doc@Duke
Reeza
Super User
What about truncating the data to the time point of interest and comparing the differences of the curves up to that point?

I think that's really what's of interest, ie is the surivival different for the first year, second year, etc...

If you truncate at 12 months your estimate is the same as if you hadn't truncated but information afterwards is censoring/truncation in effect.

Does that make any sense?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation