BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am comparing 2 groups in some baseline measures. One of the groups is rather small (n=6) while the other is moderate at n=20. Should I use the mean or median in my table and my group comparisons? My concern is, with a sample size of 6 in 1 group, the wilcoxon test just seems less powerful than a t-test.

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

To tell you the truth, the decision on whether or not to use a mean or a median depends on what you intend to do with the statistic (which you haven't told us) and also whether or not the distribution of the data is skewed or not.

If the distribution is not skewed, and is relatively symmetric, the mean and the median ought to give very similar answers.

Regarding the Wilcoxon test, I believe it is ALWAYS less powerful than the t-test ... but I guess I haven't actually seen that proved either. Maybe Wilcoxon is less powerful for relatively symmetric distributions, and more powerful for very skewed distribtuions? I'm guessing...

But the answer depends on the symmetry or skewness of your distribution, and not really on the sample size.

--
Paige Miller
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I will be comparing baseline values between the 2 groups using a 2 sample t test or mann whitney u as appropriate.

The issue for me here is that with N=6, it is difficult to assess symmetry and skewnesss, so I usually resport to non-parametric methods, but I wondered if anyone else had other suggesstions.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I probably could have written a clearer message. What I should have said is that you want to judge the symmetry or skewness of the populations; it really doesn't matter what the symmetry or skewness of the sample is.

Now, it may be that you don't have any idea about the population, but for some populations you might have a good idea that the population is skewed, or not.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation