BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tegan
Calcite | Level 5

Now that I've slaved over code that other people will use, can I make it a read-only file?

I want people to save a copy in order to edit the export query.

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Use the operating system's access control. (my preferred method for .sas files).

If it is part of an EG project, save the project in a folder in the metadata and set the access rights there.

ballardw
Super User

And make a backup in a non-shared location...

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Or use a version control system (SVN, GIT etc.), e.g. save the tool in your tools area, then version control external that code to your local project.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

An other idea: put the part that may need editing into an include file, and have users make a local copy of that. The main program would then do a %inc '$HOME/something.sas'; and be saved without write access for the users. Have a provision for the log of every run to be saved permanently, so you can show it's the include that is causing the odd ERROR.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I you are wanting to make a program read-only because you are doing release management ...

That is you are following the process of: Develop Test Accept Production DTAP than design the host control accordingly and do some management arround that. (ITIL) .

This is the higher level process to think about.

Some technical approaches can help you to make thing easier around this. That are:

- reuse of accessable available components in the DTAP lifecycle. A filename approach (concat) with %inc is something. 

- The needed host access controls are commonly known and rather good to understand

Some people have difficulties with the difference between horizontal and vertical.

- Let release-management by a vertical management eg DTAP approach

- Version-control has the goal on segerating the work of developers working in a project that is a horizontal approach.

vertical and horzizontal are two different directions.....

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation