BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RobertNYC
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all, 

I'm looking for a program to take a string variable (email address) and create a hash for the value in each row via either MD5 or SHA-1. 

Tried using the sha256 function, because it was all I could find, but it is not the correct hashing algorithm which I need to apply.   I need to use MD5 or SHA_1.   Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

data want;

set have;

format hash $hex64.;

hash=sha256(EMAIL_ADDRESS);; run;

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

I may have missed something here, but from my understanding MD5 is an algorithm for ensuring a file is complete and unchanged from a sender.  I think SHA-1 is a simliar technology, but I don't know that one off the top of my head.  Could you clarify your requirements, i.e. what needs to be encrpyted, why it needs it, and why those particular technologies?  If you just want to hide a password or email then there is this function:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/61895/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002595988.htm

But that has nothing to do with MD5.  Or alternatively you could get a free command line MD5 generator program and use that to do the job:

https://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/

E.g. 

infile tmp pipe 'md5gen "c:\tmp.txt"';
data want;
  length mymd5 $100;
  infile tmp;
  input mymd5 $;
run;
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

In just over one month an approach will be available as part of SAS Global Forum proceedings, thanks to a paper by Rick Langston.  Rick's paper shows how you can take a well-documented C-language algorithm and implement in DATA step.  It's fascinating!

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation