BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mgarret
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all--

I am trying to merge two datasets together. When the datasets are merged the variables need to go in a certain order. For dataset Have2 I have series questions which all start with the same prefix like Q15_1 Q15_2 Q15_3...... or like Q55_1 Q55_2 Q55_3 Q55_4 Q55_5....... The value _# tagged on the end of the variable can change.   To take this into account im useing the wildcard ":" to generate lists of variables with these prefixes. 

Please see my code below.

Here is my issue: Variables that start with Q55 or Q15  wich are also contained in Have1 are being pulled in to Want, which they should not be. These types of variables need to only be pulled in from Have2. Again, the variables brought in from Have1 and Have2 must fall into a certain order for Want.

data Want;

merge Have1 Have2;

keep

CASE_NO /*from  Have1 */

Agency_Name /*from  Have1 */

Program_Name /*from  Have1 */

Q55: /*from  Have2 */

CONNX_CaseID /*from  Have1 */

Q15: /*from  Have2 */

Case_Name /*from  Have1 */

Case_Age /*from  Have1 */

by CASE_NO;

run;

Any help is greatly aperciated. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

change your code to:

data Want;

merge Have1(keep=case_:  Agency_Name Program_Name CONNX_CaseID)

Have2(keep=case_no q55: q15:);

by CASE_NO;

run;

Linlin

Mgarret
Obsidian | Level 7

Ok. I see... and then use another Data step to organize the variables in their correct order, right?

art297
Opal | Level 21

Why?  As long as you aren't doing any data manipulation other than the merge, why not include a retain statement within the same datastep as the merge .. right after the initial data statement?

Mgarret
Obsidian | Level 7

Ok. Thanks. I am not too familar with the retain statement so it might be easier for me to just make another datastep.

art297
Opal | Level 21

You will still need to use a retain, length of other statement that can affect variable order.  The only time a separate datastep is needed is when you are doing other things like computes, if then computes, etc.

Its use is simply the word retain, followed by a space, followed by all of the variables you want to put at the left most side of the record, in the order that you want them to appear, separated by spaces, and ending the statement with a semicolon.

The only peculiarity, but this goes with any other statement you might use to reorder your data, is that the statement must appear BEFORE the set (or in your case merge) statement.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Why do you need the variables in a certain order. Just becuase it's nice?

Any time when you query data can specify a desired variable order, or you can have a view (or information map) on top of the table.

/Linus

Data never sleeps
art297
Opal | Level 21

Why not simply drop them in your merge statement?  I.e.,

data Want;

merge Have1 (drop=q55: q15:)  Have2;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation