BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cercig
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to create a SAS table from a XLSX Excel-file which looks like below. The SAS column names will be 3rd row in the Excel file and reading data from the 5th row.

A      B        C      D          F ...

3    Date   Period   Rate  Rate down  Rate up ...

5 2015-04-30   1     0.25     0.23      0.27 ...

6 2015-05-31   2     0.21     0.19      0.23 ...

. .........................................

. .........................................

I am using proc import to gather the table as below:

proc import datafile = have out=want DBMS = excel;

GETNAMES=YES; MIXED=YES; SCANTEXT=YES; USEDATE=YES; DATAROW=5;

run;

The problem is that Proc Import takes the column names in the 3rd row in numeric format like the rest of the Excel file, so SAS puts "." instead of column names like Date or Rate because SAS doesn't understand them as numeric values.

I found proc import options like DATAROW=5 to read the data from the fifth row, and MIXED=YES to indicate that the Excel-table include both numeric and character values. GETNAMES=YES to get column names from the table, and SCANTEXT=YES to scan text as you can understand. However, even with those options I got the same SAS table like below. The whole SAS-table is in numeric format, so it can't resolve names from Excel:

F1   F2  F3   F4    F5     ...

1      .    .   .     .     .     ...

2      .    .   .     .     .     ...

3 30APR2015 1  0.25  0.23  0.27   ...

4 31MAY2015 2  0.21  0.19  0.23   ...

. ...............................

. ...............................

Any idea about how to import the 3rd row of the XLSX file as my column name in the SAS table?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

Try option  RANGE='Sheet1$A1:D100'

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, firstly don't use Excel.  It really isn't software designed for any purpose you can think of.  Also, avoid using proc import/export - these are guessing procedures, they attempt to guess what your trying to do.  If it is currently in Excel, then save as CSV.  Then write a datastep with and infile to that CSV.  You can then specify variables/lengths, how the data is read in, drop certain rows etc.  Far more control.  Here are examples of the import:

cercig
Obsidian | Level 7

Unfortunately the incoming data format is XLSX. Is there any way to convert the XLSX file to CSV file automatically in SAS-code? Manual processes like manually converting are the least desired techniques I guess Smiley Happy

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

To be honest, the person supplying data in Excel (XLSX) form is the one who should accept responsibility for that any any possible errors which might arise from the conversion of an unstructured, non data structure format to a proper data transfer format.  However, if you are willing to take that on, and I would not, then you would do a save as command from Excel and select CSV as the save file type.  Note that this will create a text based, delimited file which can easily be read into SAS, however it will also flag certain data problems which you may not think about if you just use Excel, for instance each cell might have a different data type, could contain unusual characters etc.  This come from the fact that Excel is unstructured, and shouldn't be used for the proper transfer of data.

Ksharp
Super User

Try option  RANGE='Sheet1$A1:D100'

cercig
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks the option like RANGE='A3:D2000' worked. It was very strange that SAS couldn't realize that character values like "Date" should be in character format. But it realizes it when you use a Range option?

Anyway, it works now, and i can remove the other "." values with a simple if statement.

Thanks for clearing up the issues...

Ksharp
Super User

Not sure. Maybe you should try another option  MIXED=yes      .

cercig
Obsidian | Level 7

I tried MIXED=YES and DATAROW=3 together before, but I got error for DATAROW. The error was about misusage of DATAROW option. I checked very much if I did a typo, but  found nothing.

Now I am using MIXED and RANGE options together.

Ksharp
Super User

option DATAROW is not for EXCEL engine, it is only for text file like CSV , TXT .

cercig
Obsidian | Level 7

Good to know! Thanks! Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation