BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

I am working on SAS 8.02 (both on UNIX and Windows environment).
I have observed that Proc Import of spreadsheet (xls) works fine on windows(base sas) but it doesnt work on Unix environment.

proc import
datafile = "abc.xls"
out = PERM.ABC dbms=XLS replace;
getnames=yes;
run;

SAS/ACCESS is installed both on Windows as well as UNIX.

Is it correct observation? If yes, do we have any other alternative to import the xls data into the SAS dataset in UNIX(except converting the xls to csv) in SAS 8.02?.
5 REPLIES 5
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
"..but it doesnt work on Unix environment."

What is the exact symptom or error/warning messages you receive when attempting the process? This is important information.

Also, did you have an opportunity to search the SAS support http://support.sas.com/ website to investigate your problem/symptom?

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
From the SAS support website, here is a SUGI conference paper that may shed some light on your situation.

You also need to seriously consider moving up to a fully-supported SAS version.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

How to Access PC File Data Objects Directly from UNIX
Howard Plemmons, SAS® Institute Inc., Cary, NC
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi28/156-28.pdf
deleted_user
Not applicable
You are correct Scott, looking at the SAS documentation you have sent, we would need to upgrade the SAS version as soon as possible.

But for now if there any other approach that can help me getting the xls data into the SAS dataset in UNIX.

Scott, can you tell me how do to exactly search in support.sas.com. Is there any specific format for searching. I mostly get vague result in searching.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
My preference is using Google advanced search - include the site:sas.com parameter to limit the search just to the SAS.COM domain/website. With your search arguments, you can use words, phrases, with "required" and/or "not" conditions. Check out the advanced search hyperlink on the Google.com home page for details.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
export the Excel file to CSV and import with the macros in this article

http://www.sas.com/offices/europe/uk/newsletter/feature/issue28/tips-enterprise-csv.html

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation