BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I've never used SAS before, and I am having trouble understanding the basics of the program. I'm taking a class on it, but the teacher goes too fast and we don't follow along with his examples directly in SAS. What is some basic syntax that serve as the foundation for SAS, like reading data files or setting missing values. Thank you so much for any of your help, I keep hearing that SAS is a wonderful program, but I am having a seriously hard time seeing why.
3 REPLIES 3
chang_y_chung_hotmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7
Open EG, pull down the menu, find and click on the appropriate stored proc's or (custom) tasks to read data files or to set missing values. Can't find one that does exactly what you want? Bug the excellent tech support to make one for you. This is why SAS is so wonderful and your teacher seems to be behind the curve if s/he does not show you this great new way of using SAS. 🙂

Seriously, stored proc's generate and submit sas code behind the scene, and you get access to the generated code. It is machine (or macro) generated, so they are not at all like hand-crafted by a skilled coder, but you can at least see how your intentions are translated into some kinds of sas code. Some instructors do recommend using the EG generated code as the starting point of your customization. (Personally, I don't.)
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You can get some guidance, assistance at the SAS support site http://support.sas.com/ and the eLearn content.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Suggested Google advanced search argument, this topic / post:

elearn site:sas.com

data step intro site:sas.com

data step examples site:sas.com
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Two good books on EGuide are "SAS for Dummies" and "The Little SAS book of Enterprise Guide 4.x".

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation