BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hello, experts:

I have the follow macro program to change the column names. However, I have to manually count each variables to write the number at the end to make the macro program run. Is there a way the detect the how many variables and input the number automatically? Please see my attachment for details, the Oldprefix tab is needed to be corrected.   And the Newprefix tab is the standard name. The excel sheets are only the examples.   My actual dataset contains 30 variables which are very similar situation need to be changed. Thanks.

Best,

Y

%macro rename(oldprefix, newprefix, num);

%let k=1;

%do %while(&k <= &num);

rename &oldprefix.&k = &newprefix.&k;

%let k = %eval(&k + 1);

%end;

%mend rename;

data a ;

set il;

%rename(Gm_go, Yut_go,5);

%rename(gm_hhrt, Comp_notes_1,3);

%rename(gm_certificate, Data_certific,7)

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Find below sample code that shows some techniques on counting the number of variables that have a certain name. The example makes use of dictionary tables.

data have;
  length
    somevar1 $ 1
    other $ 2
    abc $ 3
  ;
  array gm_go{4};
run;

proc sql;
  select
    libname
    , memname
    , name
  from
    dictionary.columns
  where
    libname = "WORK"
    and memname = "HAVE"
    and lowcase(name) like 'gm_go%'
  ;

%put NOTE: &=sqlrc &=sqlobs;

reset noprint;
  select
    count(*)
    into
    :nVars trimmed
  from
    dictionary.columns
  where
    libname = "WORK"
    and memname = "HAVE"
  ;
  %put NOTE: *&nVars*;
quit;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Small example

%let nvar=%sysfunc(attrn(%sysfunc(open(sashelp.cars)),nvar));
%put &nvar ;
ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The codes you gave seems only count all of the variables.  I am looking for some specific varaibles.

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

What specific varaibles are these? I don't want to download Excel files 🙂

Astounding
PROC Star

As long as you have to do the counting, just get rid of all the macro language entirely.  You can code:

rename Gm_go1- Gm_go5 = Yut_go1 - Yut_go5;

If you are going to run something like this many times, with different variables each time, we can revisit how to write a macro.  But so far it's not worth the effort for a one-time application.  You could write 30 RENAME statements faster than you could write, debug, and apply a macro for that purpose.  And remember, you don't have to count them.  PROC CONTENTS will list the names for you, complete with options that print the variable names in order according to the value of the numeric suffix.

Note:  Sorry, I can't program this for you.  Coding, testing, and explaining would take an hour, and I'm just not willing to spend that amount of time on it.

ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

It's not one-time use.  I will use it every month.  In additions, the data sets will come from different sources.  For example, one comes to 'Gm_go' with 5 and the other comes to 'Gm_go' with 7.  In that way, I need to count it by myself if I don't set up a macro.  I am trying to find if there is a shortcut for counting.

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Find below sample code that shows some techniques on counting the number of variables that have a certain name. The example makes use of dictionary tables.

data have;
  length
    somevar1 $ 1
    other $ 2
    abc $ 3
  ;
  array gm_go{4};
run;

proc sql;
  select
    libname
    , memname
    , name
  from
    dictionary.columns
  where
    libname = "WORK"
    and memname = "HAVE"
  ;

%put NOTE: &=sqlrc &=sqlobs;

reset noprint;
  select
    count(*)
    into
    :nVars trimmed
  from
    dictionary.columns
  where
    libname = "WORK"
    and memname = "HAVE"
  ;
  %put NOTE: *&nVars*;
quit;
ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Awesome!  I will look into this.  Thanks.

ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Acturally, I use proc contents to put all of the columns names in vertical way, then 'where' statement and then proc mean to count each group.  But I found the 'Name' only contains 'gm_certificate' in the end.  Is there way keep all of the group names, including 'Gm_go','gm_hhrt', and 'gm_certificate',  in the column 'Name'?  Thanks.

proc contents data=oldname out=have (keep=NAME);

run;

data count;

set have;

where name contains 'Gm_go'; N1=1;

where name contains 'gm_hhrt'; N2=1;

where name contains 'gm_certificate'; N3=1;

run;

proc means data=count sum;

var N1 N2 N3;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation