BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shixin
Calcite | Level 5

Hi SAS experts,

I have a list of consumer id, date of first purchase, date of subsequent purchase (if any) and with all these, I want to find out when do people repurchase. Do people repurchase after X number of months?

Below is my code,

proc sql;

create table FUTURE_PURCHASES as

SELECT consumer_id,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,30,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_1,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,61,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_2,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,91,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_3,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,122,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_4,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,152,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_5,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,183,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_6,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,213,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_7,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,244,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_8,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,274,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_9,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,305,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_10,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,335,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_11,

case when sub_purchase_date between intnx('day',first_purchase_date,1,'e') and intnx('day',first_purchase_date,366,'e')

then 1 else 0 end as month_12

from TOTAL_SALES

order by consumer_id;

quit;

I know this may the the worst code you have ever seen but I am trying my best to make it shorter. Is there a way to shorten this code?

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

Do you have to use SQL? This is better as a datastep with an array.

shixin
Calcite | Level 5

I don't have to use SQL. I am fairly new to SAS and I have never used an array before. I will go check it out now!

Reeza
Super User

I'd suggest using the intck function to find the number of months between sub_purchase_date and first_ purchase_date.

data want;

set have;

array month(12) month1-month12 (0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0);

diff=intck('month', first_purchase_date, sub_purchase_date);

month(diff)=1;

run;

Reeza
Super User

Tom's right, you should use 30 day intervals instead of 'months'.

shixin
Calcite | Level 5

So that's how an array function looks like, I will try it out now!

May take awhile for me to figure it out but i'll use your code as reference.

Thanks Reeza and Tom!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What are you actually trying to do?

Do you really want all of those boolean flag variables or is this just a intermediate step on the way to creating a frequency by month table?

Looks like you are trying to mimic dividing the data into months.  Do you want to generate actual months?  Since these derived intervals are not actual calendar months then you will probably get better results by using a consistent 30 day interval instead.

shixin
Calcite | Level 5

This is just an intermediate step. Eventually I will sum everything by month and then find the repurchase rate/trend. I am supposed to compare repurchase trend for members and non-members. 

You are right, I should change it to a 30 day interval since it's not following the actual calendar. Smiley Happy

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Take the difference in days and divide by 30.

Then summarize be the new categorical variable.

data intermediate ;

set TOTAL_SALES ;

month = int( sub_purchase_date - first_purchase_date / 30 ) ;

run;

proc freq ;

tables month;

run;

slchen
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

data have;

infile cards truncover  ;

input id first_purchase :mmddyy10. (subpurchase_1-subpurchase_12)(:mmddyy10.);

format first_purchase--subpurchase_12 mmddyys10.;

cards;

1 01/12/2012 01/13/2012 02/23/2012 04/05/2012 05/28/2012 06/02/2012 08/05/2013 12/23/2012 01/03/2013 . . . .

2 01/27/2012 03/04/2012 03/12/2012 04/12/2012 12/15/2012 . . . . . . . . .

;

run;

data want;

set have;

array date subpurchase_:;

array flag flag1-flag12;

do i=1 to dim(date);

if not missing(date(i)) then do;

flag(i)=ifn((date(i)-intnx('day',first_purchase,1, 'e')<=i*30),1,0);

end;

end;

drop i;

run;

Ksharp
Super User

data want;

set have;

month_1= (first_purchase_date <=sub_purchase_date <= first_purchase_date+30 ) ;

month_2= (first_purchase_date+31 <=sub_purchase_date <= first_purchase_date+61 ) ;

Xia Keshan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation