BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

a copy of the  odbc.ini file which is saved in my unix home directory does not have anyhting that points to
odbc connection to db2 or  oracle.Only to SQL Server so i am wondering how i am able to
access databases  in oracle and db2 from UNIX?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Well I know it is possible with some ODBC database connections to specify the connection completely in a connection string without storing definitions elsewhere. I do it with ODBC and SQL Server under Windows. However I don't have access to Unix and DB2 to try out.

If it is possible with ODBC DB2 under Unix then I would expect a complete connection string would look like this:

https://www.connectionstrings.com/ibm-db2-odbc/

How do you define a working ODBC DB2 connection? If it doesn't contain a connection string I can only assume it referencing a connection definition somewhere else like Oracle's TNSNAMES.ORA. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks Reeza for editing my post. No clue  how i forgot the subject line and i aplogize about it.

SASKiwi thanks for the article.

What i was saying is i do have access to oracle and db2 with no problems but i dont see anyhting in the odbc.ini file that points to these 2 engines.

I mean ok i do have the tnsnames.ora saved in oracle/network/admin....and  i guess that takes  care of the oracle connection but what about the DB2? How come i am still able to read/write  from DB2 if i dont have those queries in  the odbc.ini

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Well I know it is possible with some ODBC database connections to specify the connection completely in a connection string without storing definitions elsewhere. I do it with ODBC and SQL Server under Windows. However I don't have access to Unix and DB2 to try out.

If it is possible with ODBC DB2 under Unix then I would expect a complete connection string would look like this:

https://www.connectionstrings.com/ibm-db2-odbc/

How do you define a working ODBC DB2 connection? If it doesn't contain a connection string I can only assume it referencing a connection definition somewhere else like Oracle's TNSNAMES.ORA. 

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9
I asked for an updated odbc.ini and again nothing that ponts to ibm db2 odbc...
I guess there must be some hidden script then..

Cheers

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation