BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ruth
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I added the alpha=0.01 in the proc logistic, and the selection method is automatic. In doing this, I hope SAS can only keep those variables with significance below 0.01. But the final set of variables have a few with significance larger than 0.01.

I checked and found alpha only sets the confidence interval of the estimates.

Is there any option in regression analysis that can control the overall significance level for the variable selection?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I think these are the OPTIONS you seek.

SLENTRY=value
SLE=value

specifies the significance level of the score chi-square for entering an effect into the model in the FORWARD or STEPWISE method. Values of the SLENTRY= option should be between 0 and 1, inclusive. By default, SLENTRY=0.05. The SLENTRY= option has no effect when SELECTION=NONE, SELECTION=BACKWARD, or SELECTION=SCORE.

SLSTAY=value
SLS=value

specifies the significance level of the Wald chi-square for an effect to stay in the model in a backward elimination step. Values of the SLSTAY= option should be between 0 and 1, inclusive. By default, SLSTAY=0.05. The SLSTAY= option has no effect when SELECTION=NONE, SELECTION=FORWARD, or SELECTION=SCORE.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ieva
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

Significance level of variables is not the only thing that should be looked at when making regression. There are a lot more like the basic R square, Durbin-Watson test and lot more. It is possible to make regressions where variables are significant, but model is not correct. And – sometimes - regressions where one or few variables are less significant, but still important.

So, I don’t know if there is a possibility of option to keep only significant variables, but most likely there is none because this wouldn’t be the best way to make regressions.

Regards,

Ieva

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I think these are the OPTIONS you seek.

SLENTRY=value
SLE=value

specifies the significance level of the score chi-square for entering an effect into the model in the FORWARD or STEPWISE method. Values of the SLENTRY= option should be between 0 and 1, inclusive. By default, SLENTRY=0.05. The SLENTRY= option has no effect when SELECTION=NONE, SELECTION=BACKWARD, or SELECTION=SCORE.

SLSTAY=value
SLS=value

specifies the significance level of the Wald chi-square for an effect to stay in the model in a backward elimination step. Values of the SLSTAY= option should be between 0 and 1, inclusive. By default, SLSTAY=0.05. The SLSTAY= option has no effect when SELECTION=NONE, SELECTION=FORWARD, or SELECTION=SCORE.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation