BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lavienrose1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

After transposing my long dataset to wide, I realised some variables were the same but titled differently (one is serum, and the other plasma). So now I would like to clean my data further by merging the variables but having trouble with the coding. 

For example (see sample data below):

For subject E01, I would like to put the data for 'var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__P' under the first variable 'var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Se' and delete 'var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__P' . Similarly, I would like to put the data under 'var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma' under the 3rd variable 'var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Serum_'.

What is the best way to go about doing this? Thanks in advance.

SUBJECTvar_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Sevar_Albumin__Serum_var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Serum_var_Aspartate_Aminotransferase__var_Bilirubin__Total__Serum_var_Calcium__Serum_var_Carbohydrate_Antigen_125__Sevar_Creatinine__Serum_var_Gamma_Glutamyltransferase__Svar_Hemoglobin__Blood_var_Lactate_Dehydrogenase__Serumvar_Leucocytes__Particle_Concentvar_Lymphocytes__Particle_Concenvar_Neutrophils__Particle_Concenvar_Platelets__Particle_Concentrvar_Protein__Total__Serum_var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Plvar_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasmavar_Bilirubin__Total__Plasma_var_Calcium__Plasma_var_Creatinine__Plasma_var_Gamma_Glutamyltransferase__Pvar_Lactate_Dehydrogenase__Plasmvar_Lymphocytes__Blood_var_Protein__Total__Plasma_var_Albumin__Plasma_
E0227431293462.54568291222417.32.53.817575          
E01   26  39  115 5.112.52.2187 37723.2492.3683.981823149.774 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Use next code to do the work:

data want

set have;

array x_serum var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Se var_Albumin__Serum_ ..... <up to the last ..._srum>;

array x_plasma var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Pl  var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma ..... <up to last ..._plasma>;

**** Be careful to order both arrays in compatible order !  ***;

do i=1 to dim(x_serum);

if x_plasma(i) ne .    /* missing value */

then x_serum(i) = x_plasma(i);

end;

drop i  x_plasma var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Pl  var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma ..... <up to last ..._plasma>;

run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

If I understand it correctly you have an array of _serum compatible to array of _plasma

and you want to move the last into the first then drop the last array variables.

Is it correct ?

Can both variables xxx_serum and xxx_plasma be non empty ? - If positive, what do you want to do?

replace the value or save both in separate oservations ?

lavienrose1
Calcite | Level 5

If I understand it correctly you have an array of _serum compatible to array of _plasma

and you want to move the last into the first then drop the last array variables.

Is it correct ? 

Yes that is the correct understanding

Can both variables xxx_serum and xxx_plasma be non empty ? - If positive, what do you want to do?

replace the value or save both in separate oservations ? 

I would replace the value 

Thanks

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Use next code to do the work:

data want

set have;

array x_serum var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Se var_Albumin__Serum_ ..... <up to the last ..._srum>;

array x_plasma var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Pl  var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma ..... <up to last ..._plasma>;

**** Be careful to order both arrays in compatible order !  ***;

do i=1 to dim(x_serum);

if x_plasma(i) ne .    /* missing value */

then x_serum(i) = x_plasma(i);

end;

drop i  x_plasma var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Pl  var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma ..... <up to last ..._plasma>;

run;

lavienrose1
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Shmuel - that worked

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation